Background Information - Job-specific
Background Information Asia Regional Office
UNOPS provides its services through a global network of regional offices, operational hubs and operations and project centres. The Office of the Regional Director for the Asia Region (ORD AR) in Bangkok, Thailand, was established in 2015 to oversee and enable efficient and effective delivery of support to partners in the Asia Region in line with the UNOPS corporate strategy. Currently, approximately 700 personnel are working on projects in diverse and complex environments.
Background Information - Job-specific
We are currently looking for an Intern to join our dynamic and diverse team in the ARO/ORD in Bangkok. The Intern shall contribute to ORD’s internal and external communications activities in order to improve internal information sharing and contribute to increasing UNOPS visibility in the Region.
In addition, the intern will support the Partnerships Development Adviser (PDA) with specific activities relating to partnership develop with KOICA, with an emphasis on Asia Region. The intern may also be required to support partnership development activities with other important donors to the region.
The internship will offer insight into working in a United Nations organization and experience in a dynamic, international environment to the incumbent.
Responsibilities will be two fold and shall have the following outcomes:
a) Increased profile for ARO through support for communications and events;
- Support the development of content for the Asia Region communications tools including AR newsletter and blog;
- Regularly update the Bangkok Liaison Office Intranet page with latest content on partners and supporting activities;
- Support the ARO with local events and activities as required.
b) UNOPS and AR partnerships engagement with KOICA is strengthened;
- Support Partnerships Dev. Adviser with ongoing monitoring and mapping of opportunities and KOICA pipeline + current projects;
- Support update of KOICA contacts list;
- Support ongoing efforts to highlight and document stories and content from KOICA projects in order to document best practice, and enhance connections/communications.
- The intern will report to the AR Partnerships Development Adviser.
- The intern shall be provided with a weekly work plan, with inputs from ORD at regular Friday planning meetings.
- Applicants must be pursuing a university degree, such as a Masters, or be a recent graduate from such studies (within the last 3 years prior to the application date of the internship).
- Preferred area of study is one of the following: Business Administration, International Affairs, Social Sciences, or International Development.
- While no professional experience is required for an internship, some professional experience in the field of Human Resources, Change Management, Learning and Development, International Development, Policy, Administration, Business Process Management, or other relevant field is an asset.
- Strong computer literacy: MS Office standard programs essential, in particular familiarity with Excel is required.
- Fluency in both written and oral English is required.
- Knowledge of a second UN language would be an asset
- Willingness to work as part of a diverse, multi-cultural team and openness to collaboration beyond the own team, treating everybody with respect.
- Listen and ask questions to secure clear communication and aability to communicate ideas and concept clearly and convincingly
- Show results orientation by establishing an appropriate course of action for self/others to accomplish a goal; task oriented action and responsible use of resources to maximize impact.
- Ability to maintain performance under time pressure, prioritizing, planning and monitoring work load to meet the demands of tight work schedules.
- Evaluates course of action to reach logical and pragmatic decisions; applies innovation and creativity to problem solving.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration:4 months
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lumpsum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel, insurance coverage and any necessary visas.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Bangkok (Thailand)
- Grade: Internship
- Closing Date: 2017-09-21