Conference Consultant (Co-ordination and Rapporteuring) Open to Indian Nationals Only
New Delhi (India)
UN Women is the UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. UN Women is dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women. A global champion for women and girls, UN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide.
All human development and human rights issues have gender dimensions. UN Women focuses on priority areas that are fundamental to women’s equality, and that can unlock progress across the board. Five focus areas of interventions include ending violence against women; economic empowerment; leadership and participation; peace and security; and national planning and budgeting.
UN Women’s Multi Country Office, based in New Delhi, India, covers four countries of the region, i.e., Bhutan, India, Maldives, and Sri Lanka.
UN Women works on several fronts towards ending violence against women and girls. This includes tackling its main root cause: gender inequality. Interventions focus both on prevention as well as response mechanisms. Efforts are multiplied through advocacy campaigns and partnerships with governments, civil society, private sector and sister UN agencies. Initiatives range from working to establish legal frameworks and specific national actions, to supporting prevention at the grassroots level, including in conflict and post-conflict situations and building capacities of relevant stakeholders. UN Women supports data collection on violence against women, facilitating new learning on the issue.
As per the Annual Workplan, the Ending Violence Against Women’s Unit (EVAW) will be organizing 4 conferences in 2017. The conferences will be on themes related to Safe Cities, Anti-Human Trafficking, and Declining Child Sex Ratio.
In this context, UN Women seeks to hire a Conference Consultant to provide support to the EVAW Unit, UN Women MCO.
Under the guidance and supervision of the EVAW Programme Specialist, UN WOMEN, the Consultant will undertake the following key tasks and other responsibilities as may be assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Conference Consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Co-ordination and Logistics Management of EVAW Conferences
- Co-ordination and management of EVAW Conferences on themes related to Safe Cities, Anti-Human Trafficking and Declining Child Sex Ratio and other projects in the unit in specific locations;
- Assist in drafting of Concept note(s), Agenda and Invitation letters for each conference- to recommend improvements on topics, and articulation of the same;
- Provide administrative support relating to coordination with operations on procurement, contracting, finance functions and settlement of travel reimbursements related to the workshop;
- Provide coordination and logistical support for events and workshops;
- Budgeting for the conference(s);
- Preparing of participant list for each conference;
- Preparing of detailed Logistics Note(s) ;
- Participant and Venue management;
- Co-ordinate necessary internal and external communication with regard to the conference(s);
- Other general logistical arrangements and event management, if required;
- Post-Conference management - follow up with participants, requesting for feedback/ ensuring timely reimbursements and payments due to participants and vendors;
- Conference Documentation and Rapporteuring;
- Any other duties assigned by the Supervisor from time to time.
- Sending out Save the Date emails, invitations, concept and logistics notes to ALL participants, including meeting chair(s), speakers, facilitators, etc;
- Follow up on invitations via telephone, email, fax;
- Manage travel reservations and/or hotel accommodation options for participants
- Preparation of MTOs and submission of travel documents for participants;
- Facilitate arrangements for visa for participants, as needed;
- Ensure Protocol arrangements for VIPs, as needed;
Conference Venue arrangements
- Ensure all meeting rooms are arranged as required (as per Agenda);
- Ensure all required audio-visual equipment and catering services be made available;
- Arrange and manage participant registration on site;
- Design and source for backdrop(s), nameplates, participant badges for the conference(s), conference kits, as needed;
- Support the preparation, production and efficient distribution of materials that will be used at the conference;
- Any other duties assigned by Supervisor from time to time.
- Organize and keep notes/minutes of all proceedings during conference sessions (incl. audio/photos);
- Produce and submit one high quality post-conference report in English following each conference (max. 20 pages);
- Organising and management of EVAW Conferences on themes related to Safe Cities, Anti-Human Trafficking and Declining Child Sex Ratio and other projects in the unit in Delhi, Goa, Mumbai, Bhopal, Kolkata and north east between September – December 2017.
- Produce and submit one high quality post-conference report in English following 10 days of each conference (max. 20 pages)
Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Focuses on impact and result for the partners and responds positively to feedback.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in social sciences and/or gender studies;
- 2 years of professional experience, preferably in event management within the development sector;
- Previous demonstrable experience in organizing of conferences/ consultations/workshops.
- Experience of working in women related projects would be desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) required and advance knowledge of spread sheet and database packages desirable;
- Knowledge of UN Operational rules would be desirable.
- Fluency in English and Hindi .
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Interested applicants should apply to this announcement through UNDP jobs site: jobs.undp.org
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications in one single PDF document:
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://asiapacific.unwomen.org/en/about-us/jobs;
- Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment, please combine all your documents into one (1) single PDF document;
- Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment;
- Applications received after the close date will not be accepted;
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Evaluation and Selection Criteria
Criteria for shortlisting of CVs will be based on the following assessment:
- Required Degree and Qualification (5 points);
- Demonstrable experience relevant to the assignment (5 points);
- Working knowledge and experience of working on Gender (5 points);
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) required and advance knowledge of spread sheet and database packages desirable (5 points).
The evaluation process for selection of the candidate will be based on the following assessment:
- Proof of witing samples (30 points)
- Interview (70 points)
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.