Chief Technical Advisor
Technological innovation, intense marketing strategies and increasing consumer demand have led to a rapid turnover of electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) globally. As a result, large amounts of waste electrical and electronic equipment (e-waste) are generated worldwide. As the data reported by United Nations University, the amount of e-waste produced totaled 41.8 million tons globally and it has reached 6 million tons in China in 2014. The high volume of e-waste streams and the hazardous substances contained therein pose serious challenges for the treatment and final disposal of e-waste. Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) and e-waste component was collected and processed by informal resource recovery and recycling sector, which has resulted in the sector being associated with a range of serious environmental and health impacts including significant POPs and PTS release, and further contributes to air, land and water contamination.
In order to help China to fulfill the requirement of the Stockholm Convention, in cooperation with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), a full-sized four-year project titled Reduction of POPs and PTS release by environmentally sound management throughout the life cycle of electrical and electronic equipment and associated wastes in China was developed and implemented by Foreign Economic Cooperation Office, Ministry of Environmental Protection of China. This project will minimize the POPs and PTS release by environmentally sound management throughout the life cycle of electrical and electronic equipment and associated wastes and protect the ecological environment and human health globally. The project period is 48 months (2014-2018) and the total budget is 58,650,000 dollars with GEF fund 11,650,000 dollars.
The project as outlined is structured with five components: Component 1 covers national WEEE management system development and implementation in terms of scope, administration, business arrangements and promotion with the UNDP-GEF support being focused on introduction of international experience and lessons learned; Component 2 covers the development of the required infrastructure and the demonstration of BAT/BEP technologies with the UNDP-GEF support focused on introduction of international technology and capability; Component 3 addresses the integration of the informal sector into the formal EPR system with UNDP-GEF support focused on demonstration of collection systems and information exchange, training and international cooperation related to illegal imports; Component 4 supports the monitoring and evaluation of the project and dissemination of experience, something that is seen as useful for other developing countries dealing with the issue globally; and Component 5 strengthens project management capacity to achieve implementation effectiveness and efficiency.
There are three demonstration provinces/municipalities under the project including Tianjin, Jiangsu and Hubei. TCL Aobo (Tianjin) Environmental Protection Development Co. Ltd. (TCL), Changzhou Xiangyu Recycling Resources Co. Ltd. (Xaingyu), Jingmen Green Eco-Manufacturer Co.Ltd (GEM), Wuhan Bowang Xingyuan Property Service Co. Ltd. (Bowang) and Daye Nonferrous Boyuan Environmental Protection Co. Ltd. (Daye) are the demonstration factories under the project.
The objective of this assignment of international expert is to provide overall technical support on life cycle management of EEE and associated wastes for this project.
Duties and Responsibilities
As the chief technical advisor of the project, the expert will provide overall technical support from the whole project management and implementation point of view
- Carry out research on e-waste management and processing technologies in US, EU and other developed countries and provide the report on international experience of e-waste management and processing technologies.
- Integrate international experiences into the key project activities, the needed experiences include, but not limited to, eco-design, e-waste management policies, processing technologies, recycling models, national promotion plan, and awareness raising events and so on.
- Conduct site visit (at least twice) to the demonstration locations and provide technical support for e-waste dismantling and disposal technologies conducted in 3 LPMOs, root out deviations and provide adjustment suggestions;
- Go through project outputs and provide an follow-up recommendation report from overall project implementation against the achievement of the project objectives and outcomes as specified in the Project Document, technical feasibility, sustainability, replicability and so on;
- Assist national experts to comb and summarize project achievements and innovations, contribute suggestions and action plan to increase the project’s visibility and influence in China and abroad;
- Go through the project’s outputs such as technologies, research policies, demonstration technologies, reports and other products to assist project team develop a package of project’s knowledge products for future promotion and replication domestically and internationally;
- Review and comment on the relevant reports delivered by national experts and subcontractors, and provide improvement suggestions;
- Participate in all important workshops of the project and make presentations in the workshops if needed; Review and comment all relevant deliverables of the workshops and participant in the discussion and provide suggestions;
- Any other deliverables that relevant with the advisor’s scope of work and required by project management team.
The total duration of the consultancy work will be approximately 65 days over a time period of approximately one and a half years.
1 working day
prepare the work plan
10 working days
Prepare the report on international experience of e-waste management and processing technologies
10 working days
Prepare project implementation recommendation report
18 working days
Review and comment on the relevant reports delivered by subcontractors and provide technical supports for the related activities
16 working days
Mission (at least twice): stakeholder meetings, field visits, etc.
10 working days
Prepare Project final summary report
The international technical advisor is required to submit the following output reports:
- Work plan
- The report on international experience of e-waste management and processing technologies
- Project implementation recommendation report
- Project final summary report (including mission reports, comments on the outputs and reports, any other deliverables that relevant with the advisor’s scope of work and required by project management team)
Required Skills and Experience
- The expert should have a PhD degree or the title of a senior professional post or above
- Being familiar with e-waste management provisions, e-waste processing technologies, recycling models;
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English;
- Those who are familiar with the requirements of the Stockholm Convention and related research background in the field of POPs are preferred.
“Qualified and interested individual consultants are hereby requested to apply and must submit the following documents/information uploaded to their online application":
Documents to be included when submitting application
- Please provide Offeror’s Letter and proposal (download the format in below link) together w ith your CV while submitting application;
- Please note that the system will not accept the uploading of more than one document so please merge or scan all your documents into one prior to uploading;
- In the Offeror’s Letter and proposal, you will be asked to confirm your interest and availability for the assignment, and provide technical and financial proposal.
Offeror’s Letter and proposal Download Link https://pan.baidu.com/s/1slBIKI5
Technical evaluation - 70%; Financial Evaluation - 30%; The final offer goes to the highest combined score winner.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Beijing
- Grade: International Consultant - Consultancy
- Closing Date: 2017-10-08