Consultancy: Voices of Youth Community Manager
New York City
The Advocacy Section within the Division of Communication (DOC) seeks to hire a consultant (Voices of Youth Community Manager), to work with the Youth Team to grow UNICEF’s capacity to engage adolescents and youth in our mandate and vision, and to ensure greater integration of youth voices into UNICEF’s overall digital strategy.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
The Voices of Youth Community Manager Consultant will work closely with the Communication Specialist on Youth Engagement, as well as other members of the Youth Team on the implementation of the Adolescent and Youth Engagement Strategic Framework (AYESF) with a focus of daily management of the Voices of Youth platform; leading the implementation of the global Voices of Youth blogging internship and digital mapping projects; and leading on other youth campaigns or initiatives and key partnerships, as needed
- Lead the content moderation, community management and content creation across all VOY digital platforms (website and social media).
- Recruit and manage VOY bloggers and grow their skills in blogging. Prepare all relevant outreach and mentorship materials for each blogging internship.
- Recruit and manage digital mapping participants for global digital mapping initiatives. Prepare all relevant outreach and induction materials for digital mapping projects.
- Lead the creation of a content inventory, site analytics, SEO, translation, additional sections and/or special topics and any VOY sub-sites.
- Coordinate with VOY language coordinators.
- Actively participate in editorial meetings and define featured topics for platforms; ensure VOY content is regularly featured across UNICEF and partner platforms.
- Ensure VOY content supports the goals of the key Cause Framework campaigns identified as priorities for adolescent and youth engagement.
- Support other teams, divisions, Country and Regional Offices in the development of joint initiatives around VOY to educate and empower children and young people around the world.
- Identify opportunities for partnership to elevate the voices of adolescents and youth.
- Participate regularly in advocacy and other relevant DOC sections’ meetings.
- As needed, support the implementation of the joint Adolescent and Youth Engagement Strategy.
- As needed, provide support in the development of youth engagement strategies as related to special events and campaigns.
- As needed, provide support in the development of training materials, capacity building tools and resources.
- As needed, support the development of the new Voices of Youth platform.
Strengthen UNICEF’s adolescent and youth engagement efforts by:
- Leading the content moderation, community management and content creation for the Voices of Youth web & social, and global digital mapping platforms.
- Leading the implementation of global Voices of Youth blogging internships and digital mapping projects.
- Developing collaborations and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
Qualifications and Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Experience in developing social media content and writing for digital platforms, including blogs and web.
- Experience with social media/web analytics and reporting.
- Experience managing projects, working with remote teams across time zones and cultures.
- Strong skills in communication and strategic planning.
- Experience in developing training materials and resources.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas as well as transfer knowledge and skills.
- Experience in working for the UN, UNICEF or with International NGOs or global organisations a plus.
- High command of English. Other languages such as Spanish, French and Arabic are a plus
To view our competency framework, please click here.
- Advanced university degree in social science, marketing, journalism, international affairs or communications. A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Years of relevant experience
- 3-5 years of experience working with non-profits, international agencies or youth-oriented organizations.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New York City
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Social studies
- Closing Date: 2017-09-15