Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Women’s leadership and participation is one of UN Women’s primary areas of work as mandated in its inception, recognizing the integral role of women in strong and stable democratic processes. UN Women works to implement Impact 1 of the Entity’s Strategic Plan 2014-17 ‘Women lead and participate in all areas of decision-making’. To promote the leadership and participation of women in all levels of decision-making processes, UN Women is required to work with a range of stakeholders including women leaders and aspiring candidates, national parliaments and parliamentarians, political parties, media, civil society organizations, and electoral management bodies, in coordination with UN partner Entities.
UN Women Lebanon has partnered with the newly created State Ministry for Women´s Affairs (OMSWA) to implement an agreed roadmap with the overall objective to enhance the role of Lebanese women for effective and meaningful participation in the upcoming political elections scheduled for May 2018. Key components of this road map include:
- Capacity building of women leaders, aspiring candidates and voters so women can better advocate and boost their active representation;
- Country wide advocacy targeting key electoral stakeholders and communities to promote an inclusive electoral process and a positive portrayal of women political leaders.
To this end, UN Women is seeking the services of a Media Expert to be responsible for the implementation of the Roadmap Component 2.
Objective of the Assignment:
The Media Expert will work under the direct supervision of the OMSWA Media and Communications Officer and the overall supervision of the ROAS Deputy Regional Director to facilitate a half-day brainstorming session with the different media outlets and based on the findings, develop a media campaign action plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
More specifically, the Media Expert will have the following responsibilities:
- Facilitate a half day brainstorming session with the different Lebanese’s Media Outlets (seen, read and written) to elicit information on:
- Nature and timeframe for the project’s media campaign;
- Identify different segment of the population to be targeted;
- Identify media outlets to be utilized;
- Encourage media outlets’ representatives to commit to participate in the media campaign.
- Develop, based on the findings of the brainstorming session, a Media Campaign Action Plan outlining the different media campaigns’ number, nature, timing, responsible outlets and targeted populations.
- Brainstorming session’s brief report, based on the half day brainstorming session with identified media outlets (in English), by mid-September;
- A Media Campaign Action Plan, based on the information gathered from the brainstorming session (in English & Arabic), by End of September.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Substantive experience and record of accomplishment in the area of women political participation;
- Demonstrated People Management Skills;
- Good knowledge of UN Women and the UN system;
- Excellent problem solving and facilitation skills;
- Sound judgment as well as professionalism and maturity;
- Ability to manage time and organize work efficiently including handling heavy workloads and deadlines;
- Demonstrated research and analytical knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in multicultural settings and in teams;
- Flexibility to travel as needed.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree in Mass communications, Political Science, Sociology or any related field (required).
- At least 5 years of hands-on experience in conducting similar assignments;
- Demonstrated facilitation skills and knowledge of the Lebanese political landscape and institutional frameworks would be an asset;
- Demonstrated analytical, planning and organizational skills;
- Sound knowledge of the UN rules and regulations will be an asset;
- Familiarity with Lebanon’s media outlets will be an asset.
- Fluency in Arabic and English is required.
Contract will be awarded to the technically qualified consultant who obtains the highest combines score (financial and technical).
The total number of points allocated for the technical qualification component is 70. The technical qualification of the individual is evaluated based on following technical qualification evaluation criteria:
- At least 7 years progressively responsible experience in designing and managing media related programmes and advocating for women´s rights ideally with some experience in developing countries, Maximum obtainable points: 25;
- Experience with the different media outlets in Lebanon: 20;
- Experience working with, and building partnerships with governments, donors and civil society organizations internationally and in the field, Maximum obtainable points: 15;
- Experience working with the UN is an asset, Maximum obtainable points: 5;
- Fluency in Arabic is required, Maximum obtainable points: 5.
Only the candidates who have attained a minimum of 49 points (70%) will be considered as technically-qualified candidate.
The points for the Financial Proposal will be allocated as per the following formula:
(Lowest Bid Offered*)/(Bid of the Consultant) x 30?*"Lowest Bid Offered" refers to the lowest price offered by Offerors scoring at least 49 points in technical evaluation.
- The total number of points allocated for the price component is 30.
The maximum number of points will be allotted to the lowest price proposal that is opened/ evaluated and compared among those technical qualified candidates who have attained a minimum of 70 points in the technical evaluation. All other price proposals will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price.
Interested Individual Consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- A cover letter with a brief presentation of your consultancy explaining your suitability for the work and link to portfolio of work;
- UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment;
- Personal CV; and Financial proposal; Proposed inclusive monthly rate.
The above-mentioned documents should be merged in a standalone file including all of them, since the online application submission does only permit to upload one file per application. Incomplete submission will not be reviewed.