UN Women: Systems Development Specialist
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Information Systems and Telecommunication (IST) Office located in the Division of Management and Administration, is responsible for the strategic planning and development of information and telecommunication systems and services, ICT solutions, sourcing of information systems and equipment to support business needs and for the maintenance, availability, reliability and quality of performance of information and telecommunications systems and services globally in all UN Women offices.
The IST Office is using Microsoft development platforms for building business applications and database systems, Sitecore CMS platform for public facing websites, Qlik for the business intelligence, and Oracle/ PeopleSoft for core HR, procurement and financial processes. Microsoft Office365 has been fully rolled out at the organization level and SharePoint online is used for Intranet and extranet collaboration purposes. All business applications, databases and websites are hosted at Microsoft Azure Cloud platform.
This position falls under Enterprise Applications Unit of IST office and the incumbent will work in collaboration with stakeholders, management, subject matter experts, solution architects, and technical teams to understand the business problems and opportunities in the context of requirements and effect solutions that enable the business clients to achieve the goals.
Under the overall guidance of Chief, Information Systems & Telecommunications Office and direct supervision of Manager Enterprise Applications, the incumbent’s key responsibilities include a) providing business analysis, innovation, and project management support; b) developing and maintaining systems; c) providing quality assurance support; and d) providing technical support, capacity building and knowledge management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide business analysis, innovation and project management support:
- Conduct business analysis, process mapping, root-cause analysis and requirements elicitation;
- Define business requirements and provide analysis toward operational efficiency; Identify and clarify requirements using basic conceptual and logical process and data modeling tools and techniques;
- Liaise with users in business units, IT vendors, UN Women governing bodies and provide specialized advice to users.
- Engage in conceptualization of new products and solutions, using innovation, design thinking and prototyping;
- Apply rapid development and iterative prototyping methodology to complex software problems;
- Manage small to medium scale projects, ensuring projects are clearly defined and ensuring timely progress in projects.
Develop and maintain systems:
- Design and maintain applications using the .NET technologies, SharePoint and SQL/Server;
- Design dashboards and analytics using Qlik Sense and Microsoft technologies;
- Perform impact analysis, change control and manage implementation of the application changes in liaison with internal and external stakeholders;
- Design and maintain interface modules between different UN Women business applications and ERP system;
- Coordinate with outsourced vendors the requirements to the system changes/ development, discussing technical issues and getting the solution as per agreed contracts;
- Organize and perform unit and integrated testing, designing and utilizing test bases; assists users in acceptance testing;
- Develop training materials, operating and user manuals and train staff in assigned systems;
- Coordinate with the ICT Infrastructure Team and external vendors on the appropriate hosting environments to improve the performance and stability of UN Women’s application systems.
Provide quality assurance:
- Develop, implement and monitor information system standards and guidelines;
- Ensure that software code adhere to the enterprise standards;
- Ensure data security and access controls considering both local and wide area issues;
- Research and analyze new technologies and make suggestions for their deployment;
- Participate in elaboration of internal procedures, mechanisms and controls to ensure stability, improved quality, security and performance of systems;
- Monitor responsiveness and robustness of usage and maintenance procedures;
- Follow corporate change management and release management standards for applications requests and deployment to production environments.
Provide technical support, capacity building, and knowledge management tools to users:
- Coordinate efforts to develop and maintain the library of system documentation and internal user manuals, training materials, and guidelines and making recommendations on improvements;
- Maintain and update the Helpdesk knowledge base to support internal and external users;
- Liaise with users on information technology and systems issues by representing the IST Office in committees, task forces and steering groups and by regularly meeting with peers;
- Provide guidance to, and may supervises, new/junior staff, consultants.
Key Performance Indicators:
The results of the functions performed directly impact the efficiency of the several key IT systems used to support the UN Women business, covering around 2000+ staff in Headquarters and field offices. The effective implementation of IT systems directly impacts the organization's capacity and credibility in providing timely and quality information to achieve organizational goals and it also impacts overall knowledge building and sharing in the organization.
The results of these functions indirectly impact: the ability of UN Women staff to provide timely and quality services to its key clients; the production and distribution of management information to Senior Management; and the preparation of results reports.
- System development projects are completed on time, on scope, and within budget;
- Adherence to all standards and guidelines;
- Quality support and advise to users;
- Quality tools and training materials;
- Innovative products and solutions which enable the IST Office to provide better services to achieve the organizational goals.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Strong SQL skills with SQL Server, Oracle, or other relational database technology;
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft ERP system is preferred;
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously with a sense of urgency;
- Ability to manage small to medium technical projects involving internal and external (outsourced) teams;
- Demonstrated proficiency to have analytical ability and thorough understanding of software development life cycle processes;
- Knowledge of information technology platforms for business intelligence and web applications;
- Actively seeks to apply current expertise and new ideas on how to optimize use of technology to streamline workloads;
- Able to identify and analyze clients' needs and develop appropriate technology solutions to meet business requirements; desire to organize and improve processes.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in information technology, computer science, business administration or other related discipline is required. A first-level university degree in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- Certification in PRINCE2 or PMP is highly desirable;
- Certification in ITIL is highly desirable.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the below:
- Experience in systems analysis, system development and system integrations;
- Experience in designing data warehouse and Dashboards using Qlik Sense and Microsoft SQL Server Business Intelligence stack (SSIS, SSRS) or similar BI platforms;
- Experience in architecting, planning, testing and deploying Microsoft SharePoint solutions including SharePoint Online and/ or On-premise environments;
- Experience below is an asset:
- Experience in writing documentation within the software development lifecycle and technical environment;
- Experience with Cloud computing (SaaS/ IaaS/ PaaS), Microsoft Azure, Office365, Cloud integrations;
- Experience with software development projects;
- Experience leading a team.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.