UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. In line with its 2014-2017 Strategic Plan, preventing and eliminating violence against women and girls is one of the key strategic priorities for UN Women.
The Programme Assistant works with and provides support to the members of the Programme Team in the development and implementation of the programme. The Programme Assistant will provide effective support and assistance to the team to ensure smooth programme implementation in line with UN Women rules and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Programme Management Support:
- Provide programme and administrative support to the programme team in the preparation of various programme documents, such as work plans, budgets, reports and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the programme unit;
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, and other material as required;
- Assist the programme team in reviewing and preparing documentation on the procurement of goods and services, and support contract tracking;
- Help the team in providing guidance to the country and project offices on routine implementation of the project, tracking use of financial resources.
Financial Management Support:
- Use Atlas to prepare required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of the project;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for receipt of goods and services, including making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers;
- Support the programme team in the financial management of the project;
- Organize, compile and process information from the donor as well as from the programme team, and keep track of the information through databases and e-filing;
- Support the programme team in the tracking of and reporting on mobilized resources.
Administrative Support to the Programme Unit:
- Provide administrative support to the programme team in the organization of events, meetings and workshops, etc;
- Make travel arrangements for the programme team and project staff, including preparation of travel requisitions and claims;
- Draft non-substantive correspondence;
- Maintain and organize up-to-date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval. Ensure safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Create and maintain files of correspondence/documents and electronically received information, and ensure up-to- date filing. Maintain both hardcopies and electronic copies of the office records and reference files on various subjects;
- Prepare presentation material/slides in Power-point for presentations for the meetings/workshops and keep all papers ready for meetings.
Supports resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Review of contributions agreement, managing contributions in Atlas.
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme;
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
The key results will have a positive impact on the efficiency of the programme team and contribute to timely delivery of the project. Accurate data entry and tracking, proactive follow-up on commitments, and clear presentation of information ensure proper programme implementation.
Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrates consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrates professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrates an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrates an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrates and safeguards ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Takes charge of self-development and takes initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrates ability to work in a multicultural environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitates and encourages open communication, and strives for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stays composed and positive even in difficult moments and handles tense situations with diplomacy and tact.
- Addresses conflicts proactively, striving for mutually acceptable solutions.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development, and applies newly acquired skills.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrates informed and transparent decision making.
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the programme team, including logistical support;
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems;
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work, also under time constraints;
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client's perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly;
- Ability to administer and execute financial processes and transactions;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education is required. University degree (or equivalent) in Business or Public Administration or related field is an asset.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience with administrative tasks;
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages. Experience in working with ATLAS is an advantage;
- Work experience in administrative support of development programme/project is an advantage;
- Work experience within the UN system is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.