Sanaa | Yemen
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific
The ongoing conflict in Yemen has caused significant disruptions to the supply chain and to the overall availability of services.
In light of the reduced or even absent provision of public services, communities have adopted various coping strategies, including using alternate water and energy sources, relying on alternate service providers and community-based service delivery initiatives to address the shortfall.
Physical damage to infrastructure and the lack of functionality in one sector often spills over into other sectors with significant consequences on both the access to, and quality of services, that are often interrelated. For example, in cities such as Aden, the lack of functionality in the water sector is tied most directly to the lack of electricity rather than to physical damage to water infrastructure. As a result, wastewater continues to overflow into Aden’s streets, which in turn has significant implications for the health and transport sectors. Similarly, the absence of electricity across many cities in Yemen is not solely tied to infrastructure damage of energy facilities but rather to the lack of fuel, amongst others due to severe transport limitations and access constraints. These cross-sectoral linkages demonstrate the need for an integrated, multi-sectoral approach that provides synergies and responds to the multi-faceted needs on the ground.
- Advises requisitioning units and recipient entities on the full range of procurement issues, providing support and guidance at all stage of the procurement cycle.
- Prepares/oversees preparation and distribution of the tendering documents and manages/conducts/oversee all aspects of quotations evaluation conducted by Project Management Units (PMUs).
- Establishes and maintains work program and schedule for ongoing contracts and newly-planned ones.
- Conducts market research to keep abreast of market developments; researches and analyzes statistical data and market reports on the world commodity situation, production patterns and availability of good and services.
- Oversees adherence to contractual agreements, recommends amendments and extensions of contracts, and advises concerned parties on contractual rights and obligations.
- Plan, conduct and manage procurement activities for the programme including international procurement of a broad range of commodities and services.
- Ensure full compliance of procurement activities with UNOPS Procurement Manual, Financial Rules and Regulations, relevant Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions; donor regulations (when required)
- Procure equipment, goods and services/or works at the best value to be contracted to international or national companies/firms, consistent with UNOPS Financial Regulations, Rules, polices and requirements as to quality, delivery and reliability of source for activities undertaken by the project.
- Review specifications based on end user requirements and prepare shortlists based on investigation of markets as well as policy considerations;
- Manage and monitor all transactional procurement including tendering processes, evaluation, contracting, contract management, legal considerations and payment conditions, contractors, performance evaluation, and risk assessment;
- Implement strategic procurement including sourcing strategy, suppliers selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, performance measurement;
- Provide regular reports to the Project Managers on delivery of procurement services.
- Provide monthly reports (and to other donors as per their requirement) on delivery of procurement services.
- Ensure timely preparation of procurement plans for the project and monitor their implementation;
- Implement proper monitoring and control processes including receipt of requisitions, issuance of RFQ, ITB and RFP, receipt of quotations, bids and proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNOPS Procurement Manual and Financial Roles and Regulations.
- Review and verify all purchase orders for goods, contracts for services and works;
- Ensure effective use of the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement; elaboration (whenever necessary) of changes on the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms for the purpose of their enhancement;
- Organize trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Synthesize lessons learnt and best practices in Procurement;
- Develop and manage the rosters of suppliers, elaborate supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- Assist in planning, developing and managing all procurement and contractual aspects of projects related to procurement of diverse services and communities (works, goods, services etc.)
- Establish and maintain work program and schedule for ongoing contracts and newly planned ones.
- Maintenance and update of all procurement files and records of corporate, service, maintenance and other contracts
- Maintain regular contacts with project managers to review procurement needs and practices
- Guide and train other staff in appropriate UNOPS procurement policies and procedures;
- Ensure that the reporting and auditing requirements are in full compliance
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual procurement-plans and progress reports as required.
- Contracts Management
- Issue of contract amendments, verification of services delivered against contractual requirements, alignment of specifications and standards. Provide objective oversight over various contract management processes and ensure their transparency.
- Develop and implement systems for internal control that would ensure compliance with contractual terms and conditions, in collaboration with the Project Managers.
- Make recommendation for payments upon review of reports and comments from the Programme Manager
- Negotiate the contract terms with bid winners and selected contractors in the best manner achieving the best interest for the project, Clients and beneficiaries.
- Monitor and analyze contract performance against agreed benchmarks and through agreed reporting mechanisms. Advise the Programme Manager on any potential issues and recommend remedial actions or solutions.
- Negotiate, within the terms and conditions of the contract, solutions to conflicts/problems arising in case of poor performance or non-compliance with contractual obligations.
- In coordinate with Programme Manager; conduct activities required by the contract including logistical support, accreditation, licensing, verification of goods, monitoring of activities and performance of the subcontractors.
- Ensure full compliance of procurement/contracting activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies
- Develop and maintain complete and accurate file documentation for the contracts
- Develop appropriate contract management tools, Guidelines and Manuals for standardization and knowledge sharing purposes.
- Prepare Purchase Orders, Amendments, and requests for contract awards and/or exceptions for accumulated procurement values ensuring that all specifications, terms and conditions are clear and correct;
- Maintain constant liaison with vendors and consignee until safe delivery of goods is achieved;
- Maintain records, prepare correspondence related to procurement matters;
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Creativity and Innovation
Ability to Analyze
Organising and Quality Orientation
· Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field. Applicants with Bachelor’s Degree with additional two years of relevant working experience may also be considered.
· 5 years of progressive experience is required within the Procurement and Supply Chain field, including at least two years at a managerial level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions).
· Excellent command of Arabic and English language (oral and written).
· Computer literate and familiar with Office applications (in particular, Word and Excel).
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: FT P3
Contract duration: One year
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Sanaa | Yemen
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Mid level
- Closing Date: 2017-09-30