International Consultant to Transfer of Czech expertise in the area of dairy production and product development
The UNDP-implemented regional project Wider Europe: Aid for Trade for Central Asia is designed in line with Finland’s Development Policy programme and UNDP’s development vision. It promotes inclusive, green economic growth through promoting trade and enhancing national competitiveness and sustainable development, by helping poor and vulnerable communities to share in the gains from trade.
Aid for Trade (AFT) is a global initiative that strengthens developing countries’ abilities to capture gains from international trade. Much of this agenda is focused on strengthening domestic production and competitiveness, via the creation of enabling business environments and building economic infrastructure. Activities coming under AFT fall into five categories: (1) trade policy and regulation; (2) trade development; (3) economic infrastructure; (4) productive capacity; and (5) adjustment costs.
Phase III of the regional AFT project (2014-2017) built on the experiences and lessons learned of Phases I and II. The AFT needs assessments undertaken under Phase I in Central Asia, the South Caucasus, and Western CIS identified policy recommendations and technical assistance activities to help trade better contribute to human development and poverty reduction. In contrast to previous phases, Phase III focuses exclusively on the post-Soviet region’s low-income countries, which are located in Central Asia. AFT therefore emphasize close cooperation with other UNDP flagship national and sub-regional activities in the region, such as UNDP’s engagement in the Central Asian Regional Risk Assessment and Central Asian Regional Economic Cooperation processes (particularly in terms of trade corridors, and engagement with other development partners working on trade facilitation and trade policy in Central Asia), and its area-based/community-based/local development initiatives (including those undertaken under the Poverty-Environment Initiative).
The project has three components, working on three conceptual levels. On the macro level, component I focuses on capacity development for trade policy makers; on the meso level, component II strengthens trade support institutions; while on the micro level component III focuses on capacity development, helping agro-processing stakeholders to increase exports.
The UNDP Aid for Trade project during many years working with agricultural and dairy processing SMEs of Tajikistan in terms of improving the quality of products through introduction of the international quality management standards on food safety, enhancing the capacity building of personnel, promotion of Tajik goods through participation at international exhibitions and study tours etc.
In 2016, the study tour for processing companies from Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan to Czech Republic was organized and conducted jointly with CTF. The study tour arose interests of Tajik dairy SMEs for having an expertise for improving the production technology, development of new products that can affect improving and enhancing the sustainability of enterprises.
The Aid for Trade project in Tajikistan is currently seeking to provide a consulting services to 4 dairy production SMEs of Sughd region, participated in the study tour to Czech Republic last year. Therefore, an engagement of Czech Experts in this direction is required.
Duties and Responsibilities
Goals and objectives:
Under the supervision of the National Coordinator of Aid for Trade project in Tajikistan, the Individual Consultant (IC) will be responsible for transfer of Czech expertise in the area of dairy production and new product development to Tajik companies.
Individual Consultant will visit to 4 preselected enterprises dealing with dairy production and located in Khujand town, Sughd region and will provide consultancy services individually to each of them. The consultancy will focus mainly to the aspects relating to assessing the existing processing facilities, supply chains schemes and raw materials are using by producers, overview an existing technologies and other related aspects. Based on the conducted assessment, IC should provide the recommendations which will target improving of technologies of production, formulation the new products with better possibilities in terms of shelf life extension and sales.
Duties and responsibilities:
Individual Consultant (IC) will undertake the following tasks during the assignment (but not limited):
- Review the quality of dairy products produced by 4 target enterprises;
- Provide consultancy on improving the technology of dairy production, application of ultra-pasteurization technology with the possibility of attracting Czech/EU investors in diary sector;
- Advise the SMEs in developing the new products for enterprise which will be in demand in local markets and how to extend the products shelf life;
- Prepare report on recommendations/advises provided.
For detailed information, please refer to the Terms of Reference of the the below link.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and diplomatic skills, ability to work in a team;
- Ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations.
- Ability to plan and organize his/her work, efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Technologies of food industries or related discipline.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in diary processing industry in the Czech Republic;
- At least 5 years of experience on technologies of dairy production and product development.
- Fluent working ability in English is required, Russian is considered an asset.
Please follow the link to the Individual Consultant Procurement Notice:
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Grade: International Consultant - Consultancy
- Closing Date: 2017-09-27