Consultant - Operations Support for Ending Violence Against Women (Open to Indian Nationals Only)
New Delhi (India)
UN Women is the UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. UN Women is dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women. A global champion for women and girls, UN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide.
All human development and human rights issues have gender dimensions. UN Women focuses on priority areas that are fundamental to women’s equality, and that can unlock progress across the board. Five focus areas of interventions include ending violence against women; economic empowerment; leadership and participation; peace and security; and national planning and budgeting.
UN Women’s Multi Country Office, based in New Delhi, India, covers four countries of the region, i.e., Bhutan, India, Maldives, and Sri Lanka.
UN Women works on several fronts towards ending violence against women and girls. This includes tackling its main root cause: gender inequality. Interventions focus both on prevention as well as response mechanisms. Efforts are multiplied through advocacy campaigns and partnerships with governments, civil society, private sector and sister UN agencies. Initiatives range from working to establish legal frameworks and specific national actions, to supporting prevention at the grassroots level, including in conflict and post-conflict situations and building capacities of relevant stakeholders. UN Women supports data collection on violence against women, facilitating new learning on the issue.
As per the Annual Workplan, the Ending Violence Against Women’s Unit (EVAW) will be organizing conferences in 2017. The conferences will be on themes related to Safe Cities, Anti-Human Trafficking, and Declining Child Sex Ratio, projects on violence against the tea estate workers.
In this context, UN Women seeks to hire an Operations Support assistant to provide operations and administrative support for these workshops to the EVAW Unit, UN Women MCO.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Operations Manager, UN WOMEN, the consultant will work in close collaboration with the Operations and the Programme team, EVAW to exchange information and undertake the following key tasks and other responsibilities as may be assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant - Operations Support will be responsible for the following:
Provide efficient procurement and finance support :
- Provide support in processing of procurement documentation (bids, quotes etc.);
- Provide support in processing RFP and maintain records/documents;
- Assisting in reviewing & verification of travel claims, supplier’s invoices, purchase orders etc.;
- Assisting in maintaining suppliers and travel data base;
- Provide administrative support relating to coordination with operations on procurement, contracting, finance functions and settlement of travel reimbursements related to the workshop;
- Provide logistical support for events and workshops;
- Budgeting for the conference(s);
- Post-Conference management - ensuring timely reimbursements and payments due to participants and vendors;
- Any other duties assigned by the Supervisor from time to time.
Provide efficient administrative and logistical support :
- Logistic support to workshops and events;
- Photocopying and scanning of documents;
- Provide support to maintenance of premises and common services;
- Supports in updating files/document and records relevant to travel, office premises and related maintenance in a user-friendly manner.
Conference arrangements :
- Assist the conference consultant to prepare for the workshop arrangements;
- Undertake any responsibility assigned during the workshop to ensure smooth operations;
- Support the preparation, production and efficient distribution of materials that will be used at the conference;
- Financial closure of the invoices/ claims related to the conference;
- Any other duties assigned by Supervisor from time to time.
- Operations support in organising and management of EVAW Conferences between September – December 2017;
- Efficient services with accuracy in data and Information sharing;
- Full compliance with operations rules, policies and processes to achieve day to day results;
- Successful delivery of services related to travel and logistics support during events, meetings and workshops.
Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Focuses on impact and result for the partners and responds positively to feedback.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Finance, HRM or any other relevant field. Additional qualification in computer applications would be an added advantage.
- 3 years of relevant Administrative, Finance experience;
- Previous demonstrable experience in organizing of conferences/ consultations/workshops;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) required and advance knowledge of spread sheet and database packages desirable;
- Knowledge of UN Operational rules would be desirable.
- Fluency in English and Hindi - Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.
Interested applicants should apply to this announcement through UNDP jobs site: jobs.undp.org
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications in one single PDF document:
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://asiapacific.unwomen.org/en/about-us/jobs
- Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment, please combine all your documents into one (1) single PDF document. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment;
- Applications received after the close date will not be accepted;
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Evaluation and Selection Criteria:
Criteria for shortlisting of CVs will be based on the following assessment:
- Required Degree and Qualification (5 points);
- Minimum Experience relevant to the assignment (5 points);
- Working knowledge and experience of working with International organisations (5 points);
- Working knowledge and use of computers and its programmes / applications. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spread sheet and database packages (5 points).
The evaluation process for selection of the candidate will be based on the following assessment:
- Written Test (30 points);
- Interview (70 points).
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.