Individual Consultant - Capacity Building - Disaster Sector (For Indian Nationals Only)
UNDP and MoEFCC in partnership with Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) is implementing a project on “Strengthening State Strategies for climate Actions’’ in Sikkim, Uttarakhand and Madhya Pradesh with an overall goal to integrate climate change actions into sub national planning, benefitting local communities in India. This goal is to be achieved by strengthening capacities of state level departments and relevant institutions to implement the activities in the identified sectors as envisaged in the SAPCC of respective States. The major interventions in these sectors will be mobilization of appropriate expertise, capacity building of resource persons/institutions, facilitation of implementation of strategies and knowledge sharing among stakeholder departments.
The State Nodal Agencies and sectoral departments/Institutions play a vital role in shaping and implementing climate response strategies at Block, District and State, based on scientific information and traditional knowledge. As experienced, the current capacity at various levels is not adequate to deal with vulnerability, risk and adaptation assessment in the states. This necessitates capacity building of these agencies/institutions and government officers of nodal department and other stakeholder departments. A training need assessment has been conducted for the state nodal agencies on climate change and sectoral departments in Uttarakhand, Sikkim and Madhya Pradesh, wherein required training modules and scientific information are identified in consultation with the state.
In this context, UNDP seeks to engage a consultant to undertake the development of a comprehensive training module/materials and curriculum on Climate change impacts, vulnerability and adaptation planning in disaster sector in the context of Sikkim and Uttarakhand for master trainers comprising of officials from sectoral departments, nodal agencies and relevant institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake desk research and analyze all the existing necessary documents, training modules/training materials to fully understand the ground situation.
- Analyse training need assessment report and provide training architecture, comprising of training framework, content and topics.
- Based on the architecture, map out the topics and identify specific areas in line with the training need assessment conducted for the 2 states.
- Based on this assessment and identified topics, develop a comprehensive training module (in English) for the master trainers, comprising of officials from sectoral departments, nodal agencies and relevant institutions.
- Share the draft module with key experts including government for their review; incorporate comments and finalize the module.
- 2 Training of Trainers (TOT) workshops in 2 states for training master trainers on Climate change impacts, vulnerability and adaptation planning in disaster sector in the context of Sikkim and Uttarakhand using the developed modules.
 UNFCCC CGE Training Materials for the Preparation of NCs; training materials developed by UNDP and IHCAP
- Inception report comprising of desk review and gap analysis along with the work plan and methodology.
- Comprehensive training module, with a two - three days training curriculum for officials from sectoral departments and nodal agencies.
- Power point presentations, handouts and reading materials on modules and training materials
- Two ToT workshops completed and reports submitted, including post-training evaluation and impact assessment. The travel and logistical expenditures for the ToT workshops will be borne by UNDP.
- At least 5 years of prior work experience in the field of training, national/ international level experience and expertise on issues related to climate change and environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in developing training modules/curriculum, training materials on climate change and environmental issues for wide range of audience.
- Must have proven publication record in topics; climate change; vulnerability assessment, adaptation and mitigation, climate policy and economics.
- Demonstrated experiences and skills in facilitating training for trainers.
Required Skills and Experience
- A post-graduate or equivalent qualification/ degree in environmental science/climate change or any other relevant discipline.
The project seeks to identify expert that fulfill the above criteria and have demonstrated ability of involving key stakeholders to provide relevant expertise and bring a wider perspective in developing of the training modules and materials.
While submitting the Technical Proposal, the consultant shall ensure to attach the following:
- Profile of the consultant (max 1 page) explaining why they are the most suitable for the work.
- Relevant Experience (max 2 pages).
- Detailed methodology and conceptual framework with expected deliverables and timelines, man days required (3-5 pages).
- Recent CV
The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount (including a breakdown of costs for fee, travel, and number of working days). Payments will be made in installments based upon key outputs, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the TOR.
- 20% on signing the contract and submission of inception report with work plan and methodology.
- 20% on completion of desk review and submission of training content.
- 40% on submission of comprehensive training module including a two/three days training
- 20% on completion of ToT training in three states and submission of final report.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points (70% of the total technical points) would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
Technical: 70 points
- At least 5 years of prior work experience in the field of training, national/ international level experience and expertise on issues related to climate change vulnerability assessments, adaptation planning in the disaster sector for mountain ecosystems - 15 Marks
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in developing training modules/curriculum, training materials on climate change and environmental issues for wide range of audience – 25 Marks
- Must have proven publication record in topics; climate change; vulnerability and risk assessment in the water sector, adaptation options, climate policy and economics – 10 Marks
- Demonstrated experiences and skills in facilitating training for trainers – 10 Marks
- Methodology, activities, work plan, experience and skills etc. – 10 Marks
Financial: 30 points
The Consultant will present the results to UNDP (located in New Delhi) from time to time to share the progress of activities under this contract and certifying that the works, tasks, assignment have been satisfactorily performed.
- Any kind of miscellaneous charges i.e. internet, phone etc. would not be reimbursed; Tickets will be issued considering the most direct and economical option and Consultants are not eligible for DSA;
- Individuals working with institutions may also apply, contract would be issued in the name of institution for the specific services of individual;
- Please note proposals without financial proposal may not be considered;
- CV, Technical Proposal and Financial proposal have to be clubbed in one file for uploading. Complete Proposal has to be sent online only;
- The consultants must bring his/her own computing equipment.
The contract shall be awarded on a merit basis. For any clarifications, please write to email@example.com
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: New Delhi
- Grade: National Consultant - Consultancy
- Security policy
- Closing Date: 2017-09-18