Communication Assistant (GS5) East Jerusalem Office, SoP (#22145)
Under close supervision of the Chief of Communication, contribute to the work of the office in terms of communication, advocacy and communication for development (C4D) including support to the production of communication, advocacy and C4D content and to related activities; support to reviewing processes linked to C&A and C4D content; planning, administration, implementation and evaluation of programme/project activities; data analysis and progress reporting. Under the guidance of the Chief of Social Policy, contribute to programme planning in support of the social policy and monitoring and evaluation section, along administration, implementation and evaluation of programme/project activities, data analysis and progress reporting.
Communication Assistant, GS5, Jerusalem, Palestine, # 22145
Work type: Fixed Term Staff
Location: Jerusalem, Palestine
Categories: Communication Section
Duration of Post: (One Year initially)
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfil their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
To learn more about working with UNICEF: https://youtu.be/E1xkXZs0cAQ
Under close supervision of the Chief of Communication, contribute to the work of the office in terms of communication, advocacy and communication for development (C4D) including support to the production of communication, advocacy and C4D content and to related activities; support to reviewing processes linked to C&A and C4D content; planning, administration, implementation and evaluation of programme/project activities; data analysis and progress reporting.
Under the guidance of the Chief of Social Policy, contribute to programme planning in support of the social policy and monitoring and evaluation section, along administration, implementation and evaluation of programme/project activities, data analysis and progress reporting.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities
Support to communication, planning and execution
Collects information, conducts interviews of beneficiaries and partners to contribute to the drafting of human interest stories, photo essays, videos, social media posts and other relevant communication products.
Helps organize and generate public support for special events and activities; assists in the preparation of communication materials for briefing and visits of media, goodwill ambassadors, donors, national committee representatives and other special interest groups. Assists in the planning, logistic and administrative arrangements for them.
- Assists in updating content on UNICEF-SoP’s social media platforms (local website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.) in Arabic and English.
- Assists in developing and maintaining close collaboration with mass media, as well as with groups and organizations whose support is essential to the achievement of advocacy and communication objectives.
Support Communication Service delivery
- Liaises with contractors (photographers, video crews, writers, translators, designers and printing companies…). Assists in the preparation, production and editing of communication, advocacy and C4D content produced by contractors / LTAs, and oversees the qualitative aspects of production, (e.g., quality control, translations, reviews of layout, graphic design and printing) done by them.
- Assists in the review of communication, advocacy, visibility and C4D content and products to ensure quality control and adherence to UNICEF standards, in Arabic and in English. Supports in doing short translations Arabic/English.
- Assists in the monitoring of the appropriate and timely dissemination of advocacy and communication materials to target audiences.
- Establishes/maintains an up-to-date documentation centre for publications, press releases and clippings, as well as photographic and audio-visual materials (photo library) and mailing lists.
Support in Managing Programne Results
Plans and issues payments, follows up on cash advance, liquidation and budget using VISION for the communication/advocacy and the social policy / Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) sections.
Liaises with contractors (photographers, video crews, writers, translators, designers and printing companies…) and local media as needed
- Summarizes information reflecting current obligations and future programme and/or budgetary implications; Organizes data and information, prepare and maintain records, document and control plans for the monitoring of communication strategy implementation.
Administrative and clerical support
- Scrutinizes plans of operations, exchanges of letters and takes appropriate follow-up action. Assists in the administrative process of requests for assistance for the Communication / Advocacy and the Social Policy / M&E sections.
- May be required to carry out specific administrative operational/control tasks for project/programme activities for the communication and advocacy section, and the social policy / M&E section
- Performs other duties as required. Including translation Arabic/English.
To qualify as a Champion for every Child, you will have…
Education: Completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
Experience: A minimum of six years of progressively responsible communication work, including administrative work, of which preferably at least one year was related to support of programme activities.
i. IT Skills: Computer literacy and the ability to effectively use standard office software tools and other office technology to create documentation, exchange and archive e-mail, and maintain electronic filing systems.
ii. Office Management Skills – Six years of office support work experience, including, organizing and supervising the whole range of office support and administrative activities. Ability to work with minimum of supervision. Ability to extract and format data and to solve operational problems. Ability to organize own and others work, set priorities and meet deadlines. Ability to organize meetings and events. Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints
Language: Fluency in English and Arabic. Knowledge of an additional UN Language (French, Russian, and Spanish) is considered an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- Analyzing [I]
- Learning and Researching [I]
- Planning and Organizing [I]
- Following Instructions and Procedures [I]
- Adapting and Responding to Change [I]
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please note that this Vacancy Announcement is open for competition to Palestinian nationals only.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious and ethnic backgrounds, apply to become a part of our organization. Candidates will be treated equally regardless of gender, sexual orientation, special needs, social and HIV/aids status. UNICEF is a smoke-free environment.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: East Jerusalem
- Grade: GS-5, General Service - Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-09-28