Gender Specialist (17-62)
Sindos region (Greece)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
The International Potato Center (CIP) seeks an experienced Gender Specialist to support implementation of the Gender Strategy for the upcoming USAID SERVIR Amazonia project. SERVIR Amazonia is a joint USAID/NASA opportunity to help the Amazon region (Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Guyana, and Suriname) to improve environmental management and resilience to climate stress by strengthening the capacity of governments andotherkey stakeholdersto integrate Earthobservation information and geospatial technologies into development decision-making.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweet potato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partnersto contribute high quality science, technology,and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over30locationsacrossAsia,Africa,andLatinAmerica.CIPisamemberoftheCGIARwhichisaglobal agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by the 15 research centers who are members of the CGIAR in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations.
Theposition:TheGenderSpecialist willhelptheSERVIRProgramtoprovideexpert supportongender issues to teams including social and biological scientists, enabling them to strengthen the gender- responsivenessoftheirresearchforthedevelopment. She/HewillbebasedintheAmazonianRegion, and involve work in Peru, Brazil, and Colombia.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Support the implementation of the SERVIR gender work plan
- Contribute with the development of the gender strategy.
- Facilitate the integration of gender research in planning, monitoring, evaluation and budgeting process.
- Support and monitor the implementation of SERVIR project gender research work across internal portfolio;
- Facilitate effective and regular communication among gender focal points and relevant clusters teams;
- Ensuretheconsolidationofprogressreports,theidentificationandsynthesisofbestpracticesand lessons learnt on gender research in coordination with gender focal points;
- Promote gender as an integrative part of communication and knowledge management in SERVIR project.Selection Criteria:
- Master’s degree in Sociology, Development Economics, Anthropology, Gender Studies. Publications in relevant fields are desirable
- Relevant work experience in gender research and mainstreaming of at least 5 years, including fieldwork in Latin America (preferably).
- Experience developing effective partnerships for research
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English
- Knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese languages is desirable
- Competencies in gender analysis, preferably in the context of agricultural research or natural resource management including both qualitative and quantitative research methods;
- Familiarity with the principles of gender mainstreaming;
- Good interpersonal skills. Experience working successfully in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
Conditions: Employmentcontractwillbe for aninitialthree-year term (witha three-month probation period) with possibility of renewal, subject to availability of funding. Any offer made with regards to this vacancy is conditional to the formal award of the afore-mentioned grant to the CIP-led consortium. Salary will be internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V. with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on 26 September, 2017 and will continueuntil the postis filled. All applicationswillbe acknowledged; only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply