Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator
UNDP is the United Nations' global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. It is on the ground in 166 countries, working on solutions to global and national development challenges. As the United Nations' development network, UNDP draws on a world of experience to assist China in developing its own solutions to the country’s development challenges. Through partnerships and innovation, UNDP works to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by reducing poverty and inequality, strengthening the rule of law and governance, promoting environmental sustainability and South-South Cooperation.
UNDP China is programming in line with the UNDP corporate Strategic Plan. Results-based management is being integrated across all UNDP-supported programmes and projects, applying the Integrated Results and Resources Framework (IRRF) derived from the Strategic Plan.The Monitoring and Evaluation contributes directly to UNDP’s commitment to deliver high quality programmes underpinned by stronger results-based management (RBM), delivering results in a fast, efficient and transparent way.
Planning, monitoring and evaluation come together as results-based management (RBM). M&E is key to good project management. They are the mechanisms through which project managers and institutions keep themselves abreast of whether or not a project or a process is on track; or whether mitigation actions are to be taken to counteract delays, disagreements, changes in the project environment etc., which is expected to affect the planned project objectives/outcomes/outputs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Deputy Country Director, the incumbent will be responsible for facilitating office-wide M&E functions in the UNDP China office. Specifically, s/he will be part of a small team monitoring and supporting UNDP projects.
UNDP projects operate largely through programme staff and implementation partners in the government who are responsible for the day to day managemtn who are required to submit quarterly reports, tracking inputs and outputs and also higher level impact and utilization of work performed. These reports are to be collected, critically examined and compiled for M&E record. The aim is to track not only activities and outputs but also outcomes from the projects. The M&E coordination officer is tasked with keeping all monitoring tracking instruments updated and adjust revisions accordingly.
1) The M&E coordination officer is expected to perform the following functions:
- Facilitate the day-to-day M&E management of UNDP projects, including:
- Provide oversight in monitoring of project activities, to assess overall project implementation with respect to delivery, project objectives, outputs and indicators;
- In coordination with programme staff, ensure timely submission of project annual work plans, quarterly reports, annual reports, etc. from implementing partners and PMOs;
- Review and provide quality assurance for all reports and work plans and advise programme staff on possible information gaps and ways for improvement accordingly;
- Based on results of monitoring, where necessary, undertake troubleshooting, suggest corrective measures to be undertaken, and make arrangements for provision of technical assistance to implementing partners;
- Ensure reporting and evaluation arrangements are in place and are being implemented so that UNDP/donor requirements are met in a timely manner.
- Secretariat and coordination support of programme meetings, project steering and appraisal meetings and other M&E related activities.
2) Facilitate Office RBM:
- Facilitate the IRRF BMT exercise and the development of indicators for the individual projects as well as the Country Office portfolio;
- Coordinates Integrated Work Plan monitoring and reporting, office annual reporting (ROAR) as well as other requests from the regional hub or the Headquarters;
- In coordination with programme staff, ensure that project information on ATLAS and Intranet are updated regularly and maintain timely and accurate database for UNDP Transparency;
- Coordinates Evaluation work and work closely with the Programme team and programme staff to synthesize good practices and lessons learned
- Undertake any other tasks as directed by the senior management
Impact of Results
- Effective management and implementation of the projects;
- Improved communication with various partners;
- Enhanced in-office M&E capacity;
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
- Detailed-oriented and excellent at multi-tasking;
- High degree of independence, creativity and ability to motivate
- Proficiency with MS Excel is essential;
Required Skills and Experience
A postgraduate university degree or similar experience in Social Sciences, Statistices, Economics, Development Studies or a related field;
At least 1 years of working experience;
Grassroots NGO experiences on participatory development approaches is an advantage;
Excellent communication skills and ability to draft clearly and succinctly in English;
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Beijing
- Grade: SB-2, Service Contract - Administrative support
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Closing Date: 2017-09-20