Livelihoods Business Adviser
We are looking for a candidate with the qualifications and willingness to be part of our livelihoods team, to contribute to the organization, and Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq programme Standard Operating Procedures.
Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council is a leading protection agency pursuing our mandate to protect and promote durable solutions to displacement-affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. In the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), DRC apply a regional approach with operational presence in Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Iraq.
Present in Iraq since 2003, DRC is today operational in the Kurdish governorates, in and around Baghdad and in several South-Central governorates. Focused both on the influx of Syrian refugees and the current IDP crisis, DRC is providing assistance in a range of sectors including Camp Coordination and Camp Management, Protection, Livelihoods, Emergency Response (including food security, cash, and NFIs), WASH, Shelter and Mine Action. The Iraq programme presently employs some 450 national staff and 45 international staff, and is growing to meet new, emerging needs associated with ongoing and recent conflict in multiple locations.
About the job
The Business Advisor is responsible for implementing the business start-up and scale-up program, with the aim of supporting sustainable livelihoods and social cohesion in Tikrit, Salah al-Din.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver business trainings, and one-on-one business plan coaching with applicants for business grants, in communities in Tikrit Salah al-Din.
- Provide follow-up support and advice to business grant beneficiaries, to ensure progress according to approved business plans.
- Assist with identifying gaps in the local market in northern Ninewah, and encourage the development of relevant business to these gaps.
- Contribute to the development and improvement of DRC business material training, as well as employability training material.
- Maintain a database of all activities, businesses and applicants to the program (selected and not selected) and provide regular updates (at least monthly) to the DRC database officer.
- Prepare and maintain up to date work plan and track expenditures, in line with project and budget documents
- Compile monthly report on the business activities, any new opportunities identified and success stories to the ER TL
- Ensure equal participation through all stages of the project from all members of the community, taking into consideration gender, age, ethnic identities and clan and tribal affiliations.
- Conduct activities in a community- and rights-based, participatory manner, maintaining an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) and conflict-sensitive approach to community engagement.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Project Manager
To be successful in this role you must have:
- At least 1 year of experience implementing Livelihoods / Business Development or similar programming, OR of starting up or running successful businesses in the private sector.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to engage with communities, authorities and other stakeholders.
- Strong knowledge of the local legal and regulatory environment for businesses.
- Ability to work sensitively with vulnerable people, taking into account gender, age and diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work as part of a team to achieve joint objectives, in a multicultural context.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion, and act with transparency and integrity.
- Solution-oriented approach, with strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Detail oriented, with ability to organise and manage information, plan and manage workload, prioritise, and deliver to deadlines.
- Willingness and capacity to work in the field and travel frequently to project sites as required.
- Excellent IT & computer skills (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook etc).
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover we also expect the following:
- Relevant university degree or similar education/experience (Economics, Business and Finance Required qualifications
- Reognised qualifications from Livelihoods/other humanitarian trainings, such as CaLP training certificates
- Demonstrable understanding of the local context, key humanitarian issues and displacement trends.
- Experience of delivering trainings, and of capacity-building staff
- Strong written communication skills, experience writing reports or other narrative documents.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 3 months contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from 15 October 2017 and be willing and able to work in Tikrit.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level C.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close30 september 2017. The interviews are expected to take place 5 October 2017.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications sent directly to email@example.com will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Tikrit
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Closing Date: 2017-09-30