Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) - Sudan Project Office is engaged by the Department for International Development (DFID), United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland for implementation of Emergency Intervention for Water Security in Vulnerable Communities in Darfur, and the various water resources development projects in Darfur, including drought mitigation engineering works in rural areas and improvements to urban water supply schemes of major towns.
In line with its initiative to strive for organizational excellence, UNOPS Sudan Office belonging to the Ethiopia Operational Hub, is actively looking for highly motivated and competent candidates for the position of Project Engineer based in Zalengei for the above mentioned project funded by the Department for International Development (DFID)
The UNOPS, is responsible for design, tendering, construction supervision and contract administration of these works. The works are implemented in a partnership with State Government Authorities. UNOPS is soliciting applications from suitable qualified civil engineers with water supply projects design and implementation experience to be engaged in water for Darfur urban project.
The Project Engineer will be responsible for assisting the project development process, participating in assessment, development of BOQs and preparation of bid documents. The position holder will be assisting the Water Supply Engineer for the implementation and coordination of water project for Darfur to/in (i) the assessment of rehabilitation works and the preparation of assessment reports including preliminary design and cost estimate, (ii) the execution of the construction/rehabilitation projects as undertaken by UNOPS and (iii) Support and guide the Urban Water Administrative unit towards achieving its long term goal of cost recovery along with review of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). The Projects include the construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of water works/buildings using private sector to get the job done.
Related specific responsibilities:
- Work on the detail bill of quantities of the identified works on town water supply schemes rehabilitation needs, and other water resources development projects in consultation with the State authorities and the scheme operations staff.
- Liaison with local contractors engaged to carry out topographical and geotechnical investigations (if any) and direct supervision of the works, and provides technical input to the design development process.
- Collect schemes operational data, assets maintenance records, beneficiaries, survey information and carry out project assessments for new works.
- Undertake baseline (Preliminary) survey to assess the situations of the existing schemes
- Provide technical input to the preparation of costs estimates as well as project implementation schedules for the rehabilitation/ replacement/ extension/ new construction of various works such as deep wells, elevated tanks, transmission & distribution pipe lines and reticulation systems.
- Facilitate the project implementation process with the state authorities and other project stakeholders.
- Carry out the contractor’s evaluation and selection processes.
- Assist the Water Supply Engineer or PM to provide the technical input to the preparation of tenders, during bid evaluation process and in the preparation of the contracts award approval documents.
- As tasked by the Water Supply Engineer or the Project Manager, supervise the construction works, and administer the works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications;
- Support the overall management of the works implementation in the field that will ensure the constructions works are completed on time, within budget and up to quality standards;
- Timely actions on potential delays and/or cost overruns that can either be prevented or mitigated are to be quickly reported with recommended remedial actions to the Water Supply Engineer or PM;
- Assist Water Supply Engineer, Senior Project Engineer or PM in the preparation of project / contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, Engineer’s Instructions and Variation Orders, Contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports.
- Assist in providing training and technology transfer to national personnel and contractor’s personnel and advise on good construction practices, good environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction;
- Represent UNOPS in project implementation activities in the field, as directed by the Project Manager, the Water Supply Engineer or the PM in order to ensure that UNOPS procedures and the standards adhere to all project implementation activities.
- Support the Water Supply Engineer and the Programme team in any other job-related matter as required.
. Monitoring and Progress Controls:
(Clear description of measurable outputs, milestones, key performance indicators and/or reporting requirements which will enable performance monitoring)
- Delivery works to meet the agreed periodical milestone on time
- All coordination issue with States Government levels are resolved in a timely manner.
- Regular supervision of the project work progress and quality for on time delivery
- Monitor contractor presence in the project site and monitor BoQ as per approved contract document
- Provide data and information about project work to Water Supply Engineer, Senior Project Engineer or PM for reporting purposes
. Final Product:
- Support the Water Supply Engineer, Sr. Project Engineer or PM in preparation of interim and final payment certifications, provide input for drafting completion report
- Follow up and submission of Handover certificate to the line department of the State Govt.
- A Master degree in Civil Engineering or any other relevant field is required
- A Bachelor degree in combination with 2 additional years’ relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master degree.
- Technical/Professional Diploma in combination with 4 additional years’ relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the BA/Master degree.
- At least 2 years of experience in Water supply project supervision and community infrastructure projects direct engagements is required.
- Experience in supervision of civil engineering construction activities is required.
- Work experience in post-conflict/ fragile environments and hardship is desirable.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic is required.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 9
Contract duration: 1 year, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
Please note that this is a local position and it is open to nationals of Sudan only
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - Sudan
SudanThe UNOPS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with the Government of Sudan and international partners to support humanitarian response, recovery and development initiatives. UNOPS is the United Nations sector lead for the Basic Infrastructure Sector in Sudan and helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: water resource management, education, census and elections, human resource management and mine action.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: El Fasher
- Grade: Mid level
- Closing Date: 2017-10-21