Knowledge Management and Communication Officer - Efficient and Accountable Local Governance (EALG)
Strengthening local governance has been a key focus of not only the government of Bangladesh, but also different donor agencies. Considering the importance of the issue, UNDP has been working to strengthen the local governance system in Bangladesh for more than a decade. UNDP lead support projects to the LGIs have played an important role in reforming the Union Parishad (UP) and Upazila Parishad (UZP) tier of government. Since the Upazila Governance Project (UZGP) and Union Parishad Governance Projects (UPGP) are going to phased out in late 2016, UNDP in collaboration with SDC and DANIDA is planning to support UZP and UP through one project entitled Efficient and Accountable Local Governance (EALG) that will have three components, including Inclusive and Accountable Upazila Parishad (IAUZP: Component-1) and Sustainable, Democratic Union Parishad (SDUP: Component-2) and Policy for Effective Local Governance (PELG: Component-3). All three components of the project will have policy output to provide space for support to the overall devolution process.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate knowledge products on the basis of accomplished studies, assessments, surveys, policy dialogues and other tools.
- Apply his/her knowledge as well as practical experience in knowledge management concepts and tools, including software applications and IT systems
- Support teams in formulating concrete and results-oriented knowledge plans that translate information, guidance and policies into actionable results for the project.
- Design and develop different IEC materials including video documentation, photographic documentation and prepare infographics to portray project results.
- Prepare media briefings and organize journalists’ field visits /briefing for reporting/ feature on project results, writing blogs, disseminate information through use of social media to enable high visibility of project results.
- Prepare project’s annual report and provide technical support to the vendor for publication of report and producing various communication materials.
- Facilitate the development and field testing of appropriate messages for different communication activities and materials.
- Capture good practices, writing stories and producing knowledge products and communications materials
- Networking with mass media for information dissemination
- Writing media materials and contributing to internal and external knowledge networks
- Preparing speech, talking points, information briefs for national and international audience as and when required
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’ mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Excellent inter-personal, training, and communications skills;
- Have working IT skills (MS word, Power point, excel)
- Have a proven track record of being able to work in a team;
- Sound knowledge of rural local government in Bangladesh
- Knowledge on planning and budgeting;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral): Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners, Respectful and helpful relations with UP chair, Ward members, Upazila level officials and project staff.
- Ability to support implementation and monitoring of UZGP and the Learning and Innovation Component of UPGP
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal change
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Mass Communication/ Journalism, Media Studies, English and relevant discipline. Advanced University degree will be given preference.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in Communication activities within Development Projects is required at the national or international level;
- Understanding of local government and decentralization issues in Bangladesh and experiences in working in development projects in the field of communications;
- Demonstrated experience in developing content that clearly communicates ideas and experiences for media, web, print production, and audio-visual productions.
- Experience developing and implementing Communication Strategy for development projects/ program;
- Experience in designing and developing different IEC materials including video documentation, photographic documentation and prepare infographics to portray project results.
- Demonstrated skills in preparing reports, popular articles, communication and publicity materials for general audience, print and electronic media;
- Excellent English & Bangla language in drafting media briefs, speeches, talking points;
- Experience in working with the UN and government counterparts is an asset.
- Familiarity with various design software and multi-media applications, writing blogs, managing information in website and use of social media is an advantage.
- Experience in print and electronic media/ media houses and or strong networking with the media is an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken both English and Bangla.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Dhaka
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract - Administrative support
- International Relations
- Closing Date: 2017-09-29