Monitoring & Evaluation and MIS Officer - Efficient and Accountable Local Governance (EALG)
Strengthening local governance has been a key focus of not only the government of Bangladesh, but also different donor agencies. Considering the importance of the issue, UNDP has been working to strengthen the local governance system in Bangladesh for more than a decade. UNDP lead support projects to the LGIs have played an important role in reforming the Union Parishad (UP) and Upazila Parishad (UZP) tier of government. Since the Upazila Governance Project (UZGP) and Union Parishad Governance Projects (UPGP) are going to phased out in late 2016, UNDP in collaboration with SDC and DANIDA is planning to support UZP and UP through one project entitled Efficient and Accountable Local Governance (EALG) that will have three components, including Inclusive and Accountable Upazila Parishad (IAUZP: Component-1) and Sustainable, Democratic Union Parishad (SDUP: Component-2) and Policy for Effective Local Governance (PELG: Component-3). All three components of the project will have policy output to provide space for support to the overall devolution process.
Duties and Responsibilities
The M&E and MIS Officer will be responsible for leading the M&E and MIS functions of the project. S/he will be responsible in the development and management of an online database for EALG. This will be used to help track progress against the Programme’s core activities and results achieved. S/he will be able to demonstrate strong analytical skills by analysing data collected through the online database but also other data sets collected during ad hoc studies, research, evaluations etc. The management of all EALG datasets and preparing progress reports, results reports will come under the responsibility of the M&E and MIS Officer.
Under the overall guidance of the National Project Director (NPD) and direct supervision of Project Coordinator as well as in close coordination with Local Government Division (LGD), the Monitoring, Evaluation and MIS Officer will be responsible for the following duties;
- Develop M&E-MIS framework and relevant database to ensure web-based data management
- Collect, enter and analyze different data related to project implementation and socio-economic conditions of the project area and prepare periodical reports;
- Participate in annual project reviews and planning workshops and assist the Project Coordinator in preparing relevant reports;
- Work as M&E Focal Person of EALG and actively participate in M&E Network of UNDP
- Assist DDLGs, District Facilitators & others especially the UZP and UP functionaries to ensure effective data inputs to the system;
- Support Baseline Survey, Citizen Perception Survey, different evaluations, research and prepare briefs on the findings to portray project results;
- Organize and conduct training on M&E/MIS for project and government staff
- Prepare quality draft of donor reports, Results-Oriented Annual Report (ROAR) maintaining the deadlines;
- Ensure preparation and timely submission of required reports to relevant government agencies
- Provide continuing support to the MIE wing for monitoring and evaluation of UZPs/ UPs and prepare reports;
- Assist the MIE wing in providing DDLGs with M&E tools and in supporting them in their use
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP and UNCDF
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Have skill in designing M& E tools & techniques;
- Have significant skills in ICT, especially in the development of MIS software using database software (e.g. Access);
- Have expertise in analyzing data using statistical software;
- Have strong knowledge on Action Research
- Strong communication and IT skill
Knowledge Management and Learning
- In-depth knowledge on MIS, M&E and development issues with special focus on local governance
- Excellent knowledge of monitoring and the application of methodology: Good understanding of capacity assessment methodologies; excellent ability to identify significant capacity building opportunities;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral): Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners, Respectful and helpful relations with LGD, donors and project staff.
- Ability to support implementation and monitoring of the Upazila Governance Project.
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal change
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Statistics, Economics, Information Technology, Computer Science, or any other discipline of Social Sciences.
- At least 5 years of experience in design and implementation of M&E/MIS in development projects implemented by national/international NGOs/UN bodies/ Government;
- Extensive experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports;
- Significant skills in ICT, especially in the development of MIS software using database software (e.g. Access);
- Have expertise in analyzing data using statistical software (SPSS) and relevant applications;
- Strong training & facilitation skills.
- Proven experience in managing and analyzing large, complex data sets and reporting the results.
- Experience in working with the UN and government counterparts is an asset.
- Experience in developing, managing and editing websites, as well as database driven web applications would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of GIS software would be an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and national language of the duty station.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Dhaka
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract - Administrative support
- International Relations
- Closing Date: 2017-09-29