Project Assistant - Efficient and Accountable Local Governance (EALG) (2 Posts)
Strengthening local governance has been a key focus of not only the government of Bangladesh, but also different donor agencies. Considering the importance of the issue, UNDP has been working to strengthen the local governance system in Bangladesh for more than a decade. UNDP lead support projects to the LGIs have played an important role in reforming the Union Parishad (UP) and Upazila Parishad (UZP) tier of government. Since the Upazila Governance Project (UZGP) and Union Parishad Governance Projects (UPGP) are going to phased out in late 2016, UNDP in collaboration with SDC and DANIDA is planning to support UZP and UP through one project entitled Efficient and Accountable Local Governance (EALG) that will have three components, including Inclusive and Accountable Upazila Parishad (IAUZP (Component-1) and Sustainable, Democratic Union Parishad (SDUP) (Component-2) and Policy for Effective Local Governance (PELG) (Component-3). All three components of the project will have policy output to provide space for support to the overall devolution process.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Project Assistant will carry out his/her duties under the direct supervision of Project Coordinator and general direction of the Operation Team. He/She may be assigned to support the project activities in LGD, NILG, RDA& BARD as necessary, and will be responsible for the following main tasks. The summary of key functions are:
- Provide secretarial, logistic and other support for the NPD, Project Coordinator, Facilitators and consultants (national and international)
- Prepare routine correspondence and general reference documents, organize data and collect information for relevant partners
- Assist in procurement of office supplies and equipment, maintain appropriate inventory records
- Maintain in-coming and out-going documents, files, prepare routine correspondence and general reference documents, organize data and information and maintain records and files.
- Maintain project files, documents and provide support to NPD, Project Coordinator and consultants/experts.
- Prepare routine correspondence and general reference documents, organize data and information and maintain project records, files and documents.
- Typing letters, documents, reports etc and applications of information and Communications Technologies.
- Proper filing of in-coming and out-going documents.
- Ensure delivery and receiving documents.
- Preparing correspondence and general reference documents, organize data and information.
- Must have ability and willingness to work flexible hours on the computer undertaken data entry, data verification and report production.
- Maintain communication through e-mail
- Carry out any other job as assigned by the Project Management Team (PMT).
- Perform other duties as required.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Have skill in designing M& E tools & techniques;
- Have significant skills in ICT, especially in the development of MIS software using database software (e.g. Access);
- Have expertise in analyzing data using statistical software;
- Have strong knowledge on Action Research
- Strong communication and IT skill
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- In-depth knowledge on MIS, M&E and development issues with special focus on local governance
- Excellent knowledge of monitoring and the application of methodology: Good understanding of capacity assessment methodologies; excellent ability to identify significant capacity building opportunities;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral): Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners, Respectful and helpful relations with LGD, donors and project staff.
- Ability to support implementation and monitoring of the EALG Project.
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal change
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree. Diploma in ICT from a recognized computer institution will be considered an additional advantage.
- Minimum 2 years of practical experience in secretarial duties and use of computers. Excellent computer skills and ability to provide ICT support, office software, internet and software applications.
- Good understanding of government filing and documentation system, experience in providing secretarial, logistic and other support in a project management set-up;
- Skilled in routine correspondence and supporting organizing general reference documents, data and collation of information;
- Experience in procurement of office supplies and equipment, maintaining appropriate inventory records;
- Have expertise in maintaining project files, documents and record keeping;
- Highly skilled in typing letters, documents, reports etc. in both Bangla and English and supporting data entry;
- Experience in asset management, procurement, data entry and analysis;
- Experience in working with UNDP or any UN agencies in similar positions would be an advantage;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and national language of the duty station.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Dhaka
- Grade: SB-2, Service Contract
- International Relations
- Closing Date: 2017-09-29