Administrative Assistant - UNDP Country Office
UNDP Bangladesh is supporting the Government to find innovative solutions to its development challenges based on the Country Programme Document approved by the Executive Board for the period 2017 – 2020. The Country Programme Action Plan was approved by the Government and UNDP in 2016. UNDP Bangladesh is organized into (1) Directorate, (2) Policy and Programmes and (3) Operations.
Operations further consists of (1) Human Resources, (2) Procurement, (3) Operations Finance, (4) ICT, (5) Administration, Asset & Common Service Management and (6) Travel & Logistics.
Under the overall guidance of the Operations Manager, the Administrative Assistant supports the Administration, overall management and control of expendable and non-expendable UNDP assets, assets disposal and renewal of inventory data, asset certification, manage and supervise Common Service facilities for UNDP and other UN agencies, executes processes and transactions ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. S/he promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The incumbent works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations Teams in the CO, the project personnel and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies of UN/UNDP for provision of UN common system
- Support to asset management
- Support effective administrative and financial control of the common service facility management
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Networking, Advocacy and cost recovery
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative management and inventory of assets ensuring that proper asset management is performed in adherence to UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies and that inventory procedures are complied with at all CO units.
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Maintenance and development of good working relationships with the UN Agencies, government/national counterparts concerned for issues related to UN common services.
2. Supports the assets management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Receiving, inspecting and verification of all incoming UNDP assets including vehicles, equipment, furniture and supplies and scheduling deliveries to users.
- Tagging all furniture/equipment upon receipt from the supplier. Update of non-expendable property inventory record and track movement of furniture piece.
- Entering records in the asset control database (system) ensuring inventory records are up to date and accurate
- Support to the management on physical assets disposal. Documentation preparation for submission to CAP; follow up on request and liaise with requesting unit and maintenance for disposal action.
- Support to the annual physical inventory verification exercise by checking the accuracy of records and location of property.
- Preparation of inventory reports as required
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Extraction of data from various sources.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
- Maintain office store with proper control
- Timely handling and regular maintenance of office equipment (i.e., Fax, Photocopiers etc.), and preparation of all routine correspondences.
3. Provides support for effective administrative and financial control of Common Service facility management:
- Maintenance and development of good working relationships with the UN Agencies, government/national counterparts concerned for issues related to UN premises and other common services.
- Support the preparation of common service budget and administer the expenditure control
- Ensure the quality and timeliness of UN Common Services on a cost-recovery basis.
- Manage day to day issues related to Common Service Administration
- Initiate new areas for possible common services and for simplified and harmonized business processes (e.g., joint procurement, security-related facilities, building maintenance services etc.).
- Prepare cost-recovery bills or common service agreement in ATLAS for services provided by UNDP to other agencies
- Identification of Common Services in other/innovative areas.
- Maintenance of Common Service-related Information and accounting system.
- Support Operations Manager in co ordinating with the other agencies in matters related to common service facilities, budgeting, expenditure control etc.
4. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Training of staff engaged in the conduct of physical inventory.
- Briefing of staff members on issues relating to area of work
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
5. Maintain Networking, Advocacy and Cost Recovery:
- Support the management in creating positive and appreciative atmosphere for team-based work in UNDP and be an advocate for the work of UNDP.
- Ensure preparation of brochures, publications, press releases for dissemination of UNDP assistance and experience.
- Support delivery of high quality and timely services which are recognized by the Government and international partners
- Cost Recovery of common service related cost recovery and necessary accounting thereof.
6. Any other functions, responsibilities or portfolio which may be assigned by the UNDP management. The Staff Member should be expected to be linked and contribute to the work of UNDP in all practice areas; and, as appropriate in UNDP, may be assigned to other practice or sub-practice portfolios.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate data entry, presentation of information and client-oriented approach enhances UNDP capability in assets management and common service management.
Building Strategic Partnerships-
Maintaining information and databases
Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise-
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development-
Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems-
Data gathering and implementation of management systems
Uses information/databases/other management systems
Maintains effective client relationships
Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Gathering and disseminating information
Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
Creating synergies through self-control
Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Business Administration/Public Administration/Social Science
- 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international in administration support service and asset management. Experience in effectively using computer and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in effectively handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in Bengali and English
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Dhaka (Bangladesh)
- Grade: GS-5, General Service - Administrative support
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-09-27