Specialist on Entrepreneurship Promotion
The conflict in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts in eastern Ukraine has had a significant and detrimental impact on human welfare, and on social and economic conditions overall. The assessments indicate that both public and private infrastructure, including water and power supply systems, as well as educational and health facilities have been damaged or are otherwise in a state of disrepair in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts as a result of the ongoing conflict. Unemployment, especially among vulnerable population (IDPs, women, youth, disabled, etc.), is expected to continually increase due to the decline in economic output and thereby limited livelihoods and income generating opportunities in Donbas.
In response to this situation, in 2016, UNDP has established a Project Office in eastern Ukraine (Kramatorsk and Severodonetsk) with a view to consolidate and deliver the various recovery and governance projects through a comprehensive, area-based Recovery and Peacebuilding Programme (RPP) in five conflict-affected regions (oblasts): Donetsk and Luhansk (Government Controlled Areas), as well as Zaporizhzhya, Dnipro, and Kharkiv oblasts. RPP frames UNDP’s interventions in Eastern Ukraine to address the recovery needs of conflict affected population and communities. The Programme Component has three components focusing on: (1) economic recovery and restoration of critical infrastructure; (2) restoration of governance and support to decentralization reform; (3) strengthening community security and social cohesion.
Within the RPP’s Component 1 is aimed at supporting socio-economic recovery and improving living conditions of at-risk/vulnerable groups by creation of new opportunities for employment and self-employment as well as restoration and rehabilitation of critical infrastructure.
To ensure effective and efficient implementation and management of activities under the Component 1 of RPP, UNDP Ukraine invites applications from highly qualified and experienced Ukrainian professionals for the post of the Specialist on Entrepreneurship Promotion.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Programme Coordinator, Economic Recovery and Restoration of Critical Infrastructure (Component 1) and direct supervision of the Senior Development Specialist on Employment and Entrepreneurship, the Specialist on Entrepreneurship Promotion will be responsible for coordination, planning and management of targeted motivation campaign for the promotion of entrepreneurship and training activities in RPP’s target regions. Specifically, s/he will perform the following key tasks:
Facilitate organization of public information campaigns aimed at promoting entrepreneurship and informing target groups about business development opportunities:
- Support the Senior Development Specialist on Employment and Entrepreneurship in designing and planning public information campaigns aimed at promoting entrepreneurship and informing target groups about business development opportunities;
- Contribute in development of concepts notes, detailed descriptions and relevant Terms of References for provision of services by external vendors/suppliers to support implementation of the public information campaigns as well as individual public events, including but not limited to development of informational materials, design and printing, conference services, logistical support, etc.;
- Manage and coordinate with all involved parties the implementation of public information campaigns as well as individual public events organized by RPP and aimed at promoting entrepreneurship and informing target groups about business development opportunities in target regions as well as other regions of Ukraine, including all-Ukraine information campaigns;
- Ensure close coordination of all information campaigns and individual info-events organized by RPP and aimed at promoting entrepreneurship and informing target groups about business development opportunities with responsible Communications Specialist within RPP and in UNDP Country Office;
- Ensure coordination with regional media in context of planning and implementation of the public information campaigns as well as individual public events aimed at promoting entrepreneurship and informing target groups about business development opportunities, develop and share informational materials on the topics related with employment promotion.
Ensure efficient and effective support to implementation of targeted motivation campaigns:
- Under the guidance from the Senior Development Specialist on Employment and Entrepreneurship develop strategies of targeted motivation campaign promoting self-employment and proactive search for economic opportunities, among the conflict-affected population with special focus on representatives of vulnerable groups;
- Prepare detailed plans of the targeted motivation campaigns aligned with the developed strategies, including the timelines and budgetary estimates for each activity;
- Ensure development of information materials and audio-visual content to be used in the targeted motivation campaigns;
- Prepare specifications, ToRs and other supportive documents to procure goods and services in line with targeted motivation campaigns;
- Support implementation and ensure monitoring of the targeted motivation campaigns. Ensure coordination with all involved parties at all levels for mutually reinforcing impact.
Support implementation of capacity building programmes on entrepreneurship for conflict-affected population and other target groups and B2B partnership building activities:
- Provide support to proper planning and conducting various studies, researches and/or assessments related with business promotion and development in the RPP’s target regions;
- Ensure wide dissemination of results of various studies, researches and/or assessments related with business promotion and development in the RPP’s target regions;
- Ensure sharing best international experience and practices in creation of small private enterprises and development of entrepreneurship through organizing or participation in public events, conferences, seminars;
- Ensure preparation of training materials for business promotion (guidance on market targeting, marketing strategy and plan, etc.) based on business opportunities identified in the market assessments or feasibility studies;
- Organize and coordinate implementation of a series of specialized trainings on business promotion for those who are running or willing to run businesses. Ensure that these trainings conducted in cooperation and partnership with business associations and/or chambers of commerce;
- Organize and coordinate implementation of a series of trainings for entrepreneurs on access to alternative sources of funding, including but not limited to crowdfunding/crowd investing. Support interested participants in launching their own crowdfunding/crowd investing campaigns and promoting their investment proposals;
- Organize and coordinate specialized business promotion and B2B partnership building events, such as business expos and road-shows for local producers representing the RPP’s target regions;
- Ensure organization and support of national and international study-tours for the owners and managers of the local small enterprises;
- Ensure the provision of quality consulting services on marketing and business promotion for businesses supported under RPP to facilitate businesses/SMEs sustainable development and expansion.
Support efficient and effective delivery of the Programme Component activities related to entrepreneurship promotion:
- Contribute in development of annual, quarterly, and detailed implementation work plans, and other related documents for timely commencement and implementation of the RPP’s Component 1 activities;
- Contribute to establishing and maintaining partnership relations with relevant governmental, non-governmental and international organizations, including UN agencies and projects at national level and regional levels for mutually reinforcing impact;
- Contribute to establishing and maintain good working relations with various implementing partners, including but not limited to media, PR campaigns, business partnership and crowdfunding platforms;
- Support the Senior Development Specialist on Employment and Entrepreneurship by assessing the deliverables and quality of works of consultants for payment of their completed works;
- Participate in relevant working group meetings and share information with partners and UN agencies;
- Contribute to preparation and implementation of the RPP’s Component 1 communications strategy and plan;
- Ensure full compliance of supported activities with UNDP rules, regulations and procedures;
- Contribute to facilitation of RPP’s Component 1 monitoring and evaluation activities;
- Prepare sections of the reports, including progress and annual reports, as well as ad-hoc technical reports;
- Assure that due security measures are observed during implementation of the RPP’s Component 1 activities related to entrepreneurship promotion;
- Perform other duties as requested by the Programme Coordinator, Economic Recovery and Restoration of Critical Infrastructure, and the Senior Development Specialist on Employment and Entrepreneurship.
MEASURABLE OUTPUTS OF THE WORK ASSIGNMENT:
- Full and appropriate implementation of the RPP’s Component 1 activities related with private sector development, entrepreneurship and business development promotion;
- RPP’s Component 1 results and experience related with private sector development, employment and entrepreneurship promotion disseminated at the national and regional levels;
- RPP’s Component 1 reporting, quality monitoring and closure of activities related with private sector development, employment and entrepreneurship promotion completed.
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS FOR EVALUATION OF RESULTS:
- Part of the RPP’s Component 1 annual work plan, which covers the activities related with private sector development, employment and entrepreneurship promotion, is fully and timely implemented;
- Part of the RPP’s Component 1 funds delivery related with private sector development, employment and entrepreneurship promotion, reached 100%;
- RPP’s Component 1 activities related with private sector development, employment and entrepreneurship promotion are carried out in strict accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
COMPETENCIES EXPECTED OF THE INDIVIDUAL:
- People Management;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Knowledge Management and Learning;
- Development and Operational Effectiveness;
- Management and Leadership;
- Conflict Management;
- Result orientation;
- Self-management and emotional intelligence;
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Client Orientation:
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
- Ability to manage results, including the ability to translate strategic aims into achievable annual work plans and prepare reports in a timely manner;
- Ability to handle politically sensitive issues and contacts within government authorities and CSO’s community and within UNDP;
- Sound judgment and maturity to foster a positive work environment;
- Familiarity with national policies, socio-economic context of the region, recovery and IDPs;
- Demonstrated strong coordination and facilitation skills;
- Good knowledge of computers and office software packages.
Required Skills and Experience
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Management, Public communications, Public relations, Journalism or other relevant field; Post-graduate degree will be considered as an advantage;
- At least 5 years of experience in implementation of project or programme activities in public or international organization in the relevant fields. Experience in the field of private sector development or media/public relations/communications will be an advantage; experience of work in the conflict or post-conflict environment will be considered as a strong advantage;
- Experience of work with relevant governmental and non-governmental institutions, private sector and business membership organizations, national or local media and other stakeholders involved into promotion of entrepreneurship will be a strong asset;
- Familiarity with UNDP rules and regulations will be considered as advantage;
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Sievierodonetsk
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract - Junior level
- Closing Date: 2017-09-28