Intern - Communications and Advocacy (UNCDF)
New York City
The United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) is the UN’s capital investment agency for the world’s 48 least developed countries. With its capital mandate and instruments, UNCDF offers “last mile” finance models that unlock public and private resources, especially at the domestic level, to reduce poverty and support?local economic development. UNCDF’s financing models work through two channels: financial inclusion that expands the opportunities for individuals, households, and small businesses to participate in the local economy, providing them with the tools they need to climb out of poverty and manage their financial lives; and by showing how localized investments — through fiscal decentralization, innovative municipal finance, and structured project finance — can drive public and private funding that underpins local economic expansion and sustainable development. By strengthening how finance works for poor people at the household, small enterprise, and local infrastructure levels, UNCDF contributes to SDG 1 on eradicating poverty and SDG 17 on the means of implementation. By identifying those market segments where innovative financing models can have transformational impact in helping to reach the last mile and address exclusion and inequalities of access, UNCDF contributes to a number of different SDGs.
The Intern will be part of the Partnerships, Policy and Communications Unit in UNCDF Headquarters in New York (USA).
Under guidance and supervision of the Communications Specialist, and working closely with the Knowledge Management and Communications Analyst, the Intern will support the implementation of the UNCDF Communications work-plan for 2017, including various related tasks to (i) Communications and Branding and (ii) Knowledge Management.
The UNCDF Partnerships, Policy and Communications Unit is seeking an intern for 3 months, with a possible extension of another 3 months, starting March 2017.
The reporting officer is committed to providing the intern with the training, guidance and support necessary to complete the below duties and responsibilities effectively and within the internship period. This will include, but not be limited to, scheduled meetings (weekly) to assess output progress, systems training (where required) and completion of required university reports for the purpose of meeting the Degree requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Knowledge Management Analyst, and in close collaboration with the Social Media Officer and other colleagues in the Partnerships, Policy and Communications, the intern will specifically:
Support the implementation and monitoring of a UNCDF-wide communication and advocacy strategy, which is an integrated part of the Strategic Partnerships and Communications Strategy, to support UNCDF global and country programmes worldwide;Assist in overseeing the content development, expansion and continual assessment of web-based knowledge and information services (i.e UNCDF Website and Intranet);Support the development of pro-active communication strategies related to specific UNCDF programmes and initiatives, with a view to enhance programme-specific resource mobilization efforts;
Assist the Knowledge Management and Communications Analyst in the media and outreach activities, including:
Technical: provide technical support to UNCDF country teams in the development and appropriate use of communication and advocacy tools (i.e. newsletter, websites, posters, brochures, pamphlets) to increase visibility of UNCDF; Services to Country Offices, Research and Information Gathering: support the UNCDF Head of Communications in advising the UNCDF country teams on media and communication issues and assist in strengthening the country teams’ capacity with regard to advocacy for UNCDF in general and for the specific programmes and initiatives in particular;Support the writing, translation, design and production of communication outputs, such as in drafting press releases and publications, and dissemination to UNDP country offices, UNCDF country and regional offices, partners and stakeholders;Organize Events: assist the PPC Unit in organizing events, launches of publications, seminars and conferences.Support the development and implementation of global campaigns which will consist of high level events and publications.
Assist in the process of creating and posting content for the corporate website: www.uncdf.org:
Write blogs, feature and success stories about results achieved and efforts pursued under UNCDF projects and programmes, based on relevant inputs from project/programme managers, partners and donors.Assist in boosting UNCDF’s presence in online communications and social media; provide assistance in maintenance of the UNCDF online platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube channel, Instagram.
Core Values/Guiding Principles
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UNCDF in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Demonstrates strong writing skills, particularly the ability to present persuasive, coherent and well-founded arguments;
- Has ability to write in a style that is accessible to a broad audience of policymakers, academics and activists.
- Reliably takes action to honor commitments; takes international outlook in decision-making.
- Possesses good grasp of development policy issues;
- Demonstrates analytical rigor, intellectual creativity and contributes original ideas;
- Maintains open-minded attitude towards new ideas.
Working in teams:
- Contributes to team spirit, inspires and motivates staff and colleagues at all levels;
- Demonstrates willingness to integrate ideas of others into own thinking;
- Remains composed under stress;
- Manages moods and creates positive attitude in the team even in times of crisis.
Results Orientation in Process:
- Demonstrates drive to achieve results in timely manner and to seek and find solutions to any problems encountered;
- Makes efficient use of available resources;
- Demonstrates ability to multitask.
- Has ability to communicate clearly and persuasively;
- Demonstrates ability to build consensus and expresses own ideas openly and frankly without jeopardising rapport with colleagues.
Innovation and marketing of new approaches:
- Generates new ideas, seeks new approaches and introduces and promotes them in the workplace.
Required Skills and Experience
- Must be enrolled in a Masters or advanced University degree programme related to communications.
- Experience in communications and social media outreach;
- Proficient in using new technologies, web-based platforms and social media networks; familiarity with HootSuite is a plus;
- Familiar with financial inclusion and local development finance issues;
- Self-starter; organized; able to multitask and balance multiple responsibilities.
- Fluency in English and either Spanish or French; all two considered a plus.
Interns are not financially remunerated by UNCDF. The costs associated with the latter must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his/her own arrangements for travel, accommodation, etc. Proof of medical and life/accident insurance valid for the location in which the internship will be carried out (i.e. New York, USA);Interns must have medical and life insurance;The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNCDF but to complement an intern’s studies; therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship;
In your application, please (i) state in one paragraph why you would like to be considered for the internship, and (ii) indicate your preferred start and end date, as well as your availability (days/hours) within that period;Please submit your Resume/CV and an application using the UNCDF Internship Application form: http://www.uncdf.org/sites/default/files/internship.doc
Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: New York City
- Grade: Internship
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-09-28