The Support to Investment Climate Improvement in Uzbekistan project is launched in partnership with the Senate of Oliy Majlis of the Republic of Uzbekistan. The Project aims to support the Senate of Oliy Majlis of the Republic of Uzbekistan and other ministries and agencies of Uzbekistan to implement the Action Strategy on five priority directions of development of Uzbekistan adopted by the Government for 2017-2021. In line with the third direction of the Strategy ‘Priority areas of development and liberalization of the economy’ the Project will provide its support in improving the investment climate to attract foreign direct investments to the economy and the regions to create jobs. The Project will also serve as a platform to coordinate the efforts of other donors and international organizations in this priority area. The project will focus in the following areas:
Development of proposals on further improvement of legislation in the area of Foreign Direct Investment facilitation. The Project will support national partners to study the best international practices and to streamline and simplify regulatory framework for investors and entrepreneurs.
Development of proposals to adapt the institutional and regulatory system in accordance with the updated legislation. The Project will provide advisory support to relevant agencies to bring in the international best practices in attracting and supporting investments and creating jobs. It is also planned to develop proposals on close coordination of central and regional authorities in attracting and supporting foreign investments and creating jobs.
Development of scenarios of economic liberalization paths based on well-established methodologies and with the help of local and international experts. The Project in close cooperation with partners will develop scenarios of economic liberalization and assess their impact on various segments of the economy and society, and prepare proposals to minimize possible negative consequences.
Improvement of skills and awareness of parliamentarians and specialists of government agencies on reforms aimed at improving the investment climate in Uzbekistan, and exposing them to the best international experience in this field. The Project will assist national partners to study international best practices, to improve their skills through seminars, trainings and learning from foreign experts. The Project will also support the platform for dialogue to inform stakeholders about the ongoing changes and put forward their proposals in improving the investment climate in the country
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of Project Manager, the Economist provides analytical support services to the project, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Economist works in close collaboration with the Government Counterparts, project, SD Cluster to exchange information and ensure timely accomplishment of below tasks.
In the field of economic analysis and investment promotion activities:
- Conducts research and analysis of economic trends, identifies emerging issues and opportunities to recommend new areas of engagement to the management;
- Develops analytical papers and policy briefs on investment promotion and regulation;
- Studies international best practices in the field of business and investment climate strategies, develops proposals in close cooperation with stakeholders to create an enabling environment for investors.
- Provides inputs in the process of development of clear criteria and transparent procedures for administrative decisions with respect to investment screening and approval, as well as to further clarification of roles and accountabilities between different levels of government and among agencies;
- Studies international experience in key performance indicators of government agencies and the economy and provides concrete proposals on their adoption, implementation and monitoring;
- Conducts sector and thematic assessments in the area of investments, and provides recommendations on further improvements in the area of investment promotion;
- Conducts analysis of the special economic zones’ institutional setup and performance, and develops analytical notes with recommendations on their further improvement;
- Provides support to national partners in consolidating, analysing and reporting on investment related actions;
- Provides inputs to partnership strategies with providers of specialized expertise, and possible co-financiers for project activities;
- Assists in arranging and accomplishment of international experts’ missions.
In the field of project management:
- Assists Project Manager in implementation of activities related to investment promotion and in submission of monthly, quarterly and annual reports on relevant activities and events;
- Ensures that project contributes to the promotion of gender equality by reaching, involving and benefiting both women and men in its activities (gender mainstreaming);
- Performs other duties related to the scope of work of the Economist as required.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Result-oriented to meet the needs of client;
- Excellent leadership, self-management, communications and presentation skills;
- Good analytical and writing skills;
- Computer literacy and ability to use modern technology and social media as a tool in every-day work;
- Ability to share knowledge and experience;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to quick learning;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Responds positively to feedback and different viewpoints.
- Demonstrating ethics and integrity;
- Self-development, initiative and reasonable risk taking,
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in any of the following areas: Business Administration, Economics, International Economics, Public Policy or Public Administration.
- At least 2 years of work experience in the field of investment promotion, private investment entities, in companies with foreign investments.
- Fluency in English, and proficiency in Uzbek or Russian;
- Strong public speaking and written communication skills
- Past experience in international development organizations is an asset
- Ability to use ICT as a tool and resource
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Tashkent
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract - Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-09-30