UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
About the Position:
Reporting to the Programme Manager, the Programme Analyst contributes to the effective management of UN Women programmes in the Regional Office for Arab States by providing substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. S/he guides and facilitates the delivery of UN Women programmes by monitoring results achieved during implementation and ensuring appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Research and Knowledge Management
- Map and analyze the political, social and economic situation in the region related to the programme and prepare inputs to relevant programme planning documents;
- Map and analyze policies and legislation relevant to the programme;
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to the programme;
- Ensure that knowledge generated by the programme is documented and systematized and fed back into programme implementation, including by contributing to a regional knowledge hub as well as disseminate knowledge to relevant networks;
- Support the timely preparation and quality control of substantive technical reports, briefs other required documents;
- Periodically suggest updates to the overall programme framework on the basis of reviews, lessons learned and best practices derived from COs, IPs and evaluations;
- In collaboration with the Programme Associate, coordinate and facilitate workshops and meetings;
- Provide any additional technical, administrative and financial support to the Programme Manager, as needed.
- Analytic report on political, social and economic situation in the region related to the programme produced by 30th April 2018;
- Analytic report on policies and legislation relevant to the programme produced by 30th April 2018;
- Report on best practices and lessons learnt produced by 30th September 2018;
- Consolidate best practices and lessons learnt received by partners’ reports every quarter;
- Update of programme framework on best practices and lessons learnt every quarter;
- Quality control of technical reports and briefs (Ongoing);
- Coordination and facilitation of workshops and meetings (Ongoing);
- Additional technical, administrative and financial support (Ongoing);
- Monthly progress report (Monthly).
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality substantive inputs programme strategies and activities;
- Timely and quality substantive inputs to workplans and budgets;
- Adherence to UN Women standards and rules;
- Timely monitoring and tracking of programme results and finances;
- Relationship with partners and stakeholders;
- Timely organization of events;
- Quality of knowledge and advocacy products.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations;
- Good analytical skills;
- Good knowledge of engagement of men and boys in gender equality;
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in law, human rights, international development.
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and/ or capacity building;
- Experience with results-based management;
- Familiarity with engagement of men and boys for gender equality;
- Familiarity with gender equality and women’s rights issues in the Arab States region;
- Past experience with UN Women or other international organizations would be an asset.
- Fluency in English and knowledge of Arabic is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.