SVN 2017/169 (P) - Technical Officer (Humanitarian Hub) (P2) - Maiduguri, Nigeri
Position Title Technical Officer (Humanitarian Hub)
Duty Station : Maiduguri, Nigeria
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 02 October 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office, Maiduguri and the direct supervision of the Project Manager (Humanitarian Hub (HH)) and the functional supervision of the Programme Manager (Shelter), the successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring and coordinating the technical aspects of construction and maintenance of the Humanitarian Hubs in North-East Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Contribute to the management of resources; update funding and expenditure spreadsheets, track resource utilization, draft budget revisions, and make recommendations on spending plans.
2. Monitor the facilities and functioning of the Humanitarian Hub, document shortfalls or issues, and bring to the attention of the supervisor along with proposed solutions and improvements. 3. Coordinate repairs, maintenance, and installation of infrastructure both conventional and temporary installations.
4. Implement the humanitarian hub preventive programme for facility equipment, including HVAC and office equipment.
Page 1 / 35. Ensure that any faults or defects are actioned promptly. 6. Supervise and monitor contractor work to agreed specifications.
7. Monitor the work of personnel for maintenance purposes – including housekeepers, electricians, plumbers, daily laborer’s etc., and recommend performance improvements. 8. Plan and coordinate essential central services such as reception, security, maintenance, mail, archiving, cleaning, catering, waste disposal and recycling.
9. Respond to emergencies or urgent issues as they arise, informing the supervisor or taking action as appropriate.
10. Raise Purchase Requests in coordination with Hub manager, Hub Operations Manager, head of office and logistics for materials to maintain or improve the Humanitarian Hub. 11. Assess partner needs in the humanitarian hub, and draft proposals to meet these needs. 12. Draft sections of regular progress and other reports.
13. Perform such other duties as may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Building Management; Construction; Engineering and Building Services; Facilities Management; Hospitality; Surveying; Property Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in Technical background in construction;
• Prior experience in setting up of Hubs and field based staff accommodation; • The job requires the incumbent to show competency in team work, reliability under pressure, capacity handle several tasks of varying priorities at the same time and careful observance of technical guidelines;
• The staff will be expected to support the project in multiple locations as well as provide on-job support/training to the staff that will be deployed to these Hubs and Base Camps. Languages
Fluency in English is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external Page 2 / 3stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 02 October 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 19.09.2017 to 02.10.2017
Requisition: SVN 2017/169 (P) - Technical Officer (Humanitarian Hub) (P2) - Maiduguri, Nigeri (55182886) Released
Posting: Posting NC55182898 (55182898) Released
Page 3 / 3
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Maiduguri
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Junior level
- Humanitarian Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-10-02