Human Resources Associate
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Operations Analyst, the HR Associate provides leadership in execution of the full range of CO HR services ensuring their transparency and integrity. The HR Associate promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and promotes the maintenance of high staff morale.
The HR Associate supervises and leads the support staff of the HR Unit. The HR Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the CO and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex HR-related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Administration and implementation of HR strategies and policies;
- Administration of human resources;
- Performance management and career development;
- Conduct of UN-related surveys;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures administration and implementation of HR strategies and policies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR recording and reporting systems with UN rules and regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control framework, proper functioning of the HR management system;
- Provision of advice and information on corporate strategies, changes in rules and regulations, implementation of personnel rules, strategic use of contractual modalities, application of entitlements, change management processes;
- CO HR business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management.
Ensures effective administration of human resources focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of recruitment processes including drafting job description, provision of input to job classification process, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, participation in interview panels. Provision of advice on recruitment in UNDP projects;
- Creation/update of positions in Atlas, association of positions to chart fields (COAs), update of COA information, setting up vendor, performing the functions of Admin.HR, Position Administrator and Absence Processor in Atlas. Preparation of contracts (100/300 series, SSAs, SCs) and recurring vouchers in Atlas. Timely follow up with Finance staff on Global payroll issues;
- Monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas;
- Maintenance of the CO staffing table;
- Preparation or review of submissions to the CRP (Compliance Review Panel) and CRB (Compliance Review Board);
- Administration of delegated International staff entitlements and position funding delegated to COs;
- Administration of the CO rosters including e-rosters;
- Validation of cost-recovery charges in Atlas for HR services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
Ensures proper staff performance management and career development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Facilitation of the performance appraisal process and maintenance of the related data acting as Secretary of TMRG (Talent Management Review Group);
- Guiding management on resolving issues related to staff performance.
Ensures conduct of UN-related surveys focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collection of information and preparation of reports for comprehensive and interim local salary surveys. Participation in the work of LSSC (Local Salary Survey Committee).
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on HR issues;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in HR;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Building Strategic Partnerships;
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases:
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing;
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis:
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise;
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures:
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
Promoting Organizational Change and Development;
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change:
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system;
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems;
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems:
- Uses information/databases/other management systems;
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components;
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems.
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships:
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management;
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information:
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems;
- Prepares timely inputs to reports.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
The incumbent of the position should avoid any kind of discriminatory behavior including gender discrimination and ensure that
- human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is create;
- necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings etc. introduced.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education is required.
- University Degree in HR, Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 7 years of progressively responsible HR and/or administrative experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Arabic Languages both written and oral.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Sanaa (Yemen)
- Grade: GS-7, General Service - Administrative support
- Human Resources
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-09-24
Temporary Appointment - IT Associate (Operations), GS-6, Global Shared Services Centre, Budapest, HungaryUNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
GS-6, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position
GS-5, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position
Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education
LICA-7, Local Individual Contractors Agreement