Clinical Technical Duties
Within delegated authority, the Nurse shall be responsible for the following duties:
• Attend the UN Clinic on a full time basis;
• Assist the UN Physician in the performance of his/her duties
• Responds to emergency calls during outside office hours when necessary and assists Medical Doctors in providing adequate care;
• Give first-aid and advice to the staff and their recognised dependents;
• Ensures effective liaison between patient and private doctor, paramedics, family members, and colleagues as appropriate;
• Ensures close follow-up of referred and hospitalised staff members
• Participate in the performance evaluation of external medical providers
• Documents case findings.
• Performs diagnostic and screening tests such as: ECG, x-rays, laboratory (blood and urine), and other tests as required.
• Performs clinical assessment of patients visiting the walk-in clinic;
• Facilitates referral to the UN Medical Doctor or to an outside physician, as required.
• Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments.
• Instructs on the content and potential uses of the travel kit.
• Assists in providing health education and health promotion programs;
Participates in work environment assessment, e.g. office ergonomics, Job analysis and addresses other occupational health issues.
• Assist in the follow up and Return to work coordination of ill/injured staff members
• Coordinates medical evacuation and cooperates with Medical Services Division in N.Y. and the receiving facilities in home countries;
• Assists in providing medical support during evacuation and repatriation;
• Advises evacuees on the requirements for evacuation and/or escorts patients if needed;
• Concludes or closes medical evacuation files to enable staff members to submit claims;
• Assist in arrangements for the deceased;
• Designs and implements outreach programs for mission personnel;
• Plans and organizes preventive and promotes medical fairs;
• Perform medical briefing for incoming staff and conduct first aid training;
• Assess needs of clients visiting the walk-in clinic, provides care/advice (e.g., the benefits of preventive medicine etc.) accordingly and facilitates referral to the UN Medical Physician or to an outside physician, as indicated;
• Administer minor “outpatient” treatment and immunization requirements;
• Assists in maintaining records of patients' medical data including consultations and treatment;
• Maintain strict confidentiality with regards to patient’s medical records; patient management and treatment.
• Perform medication, injection, dressing, stitching, foreign body extraction and so on as needed;
• Performs other related duties as required
• Maintain the UN Clinic in good order and keep the inventory of medical supplies and equipment up-to-date and be prepared for disaster;
• In consultation with the UN medical physician, maintain a 24-hour roster of available specialists for referral and treatment;
• Coordinate and supervise the work of other UN Dispensary personnel i.e. Ambulance Driver and Cleaner;
• Check equipment and supplies on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis and maintain them in working order;
• Ensures that medical instruments are properly sterilized and maintains hygiene and cleanliness of the dispensary;
• Through a monthly check, ensures that medical instruments and equipment in the UN ambulance are maintained in a working order, and replaced after use;
• Enter medical data of patients into register, patient's file, and electronic databases;
• Schedule consultations with the UN Physician for eligible staff and dependents;
• Maintain a 24-hour roster of available specialists for referrals and treatment when necessary;
• Ensure a proper and safe disposal of hazardous material and medical waste in close coordination with the Medical Physician, Lab technicians , and Pharmacists
• Identifies and plans clinics’ material, supplies and equipment requirements and raises requisitions accordingly;
• Liaises with Procurement Section and Supply Section to establish essential contracts for the mission;
• Develops logistic plans to support field satellite clinics, and follows up on implementation;
• Draws and implements duty roster for clinic personnel;
• Maintains and medical inventory and supplies and distributes medical supplies to outstations;
• Arranges medical appointments and examinations to mission personnel;
• Updates the monthly medical reports.
Impact of Results
Quality nursing services that contribute to the good physical and mental health of staff are provided.
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the dispensary. Accurate analysis and presentation of information, thoroughly researched and fully documented work strengthens the capacity of the UN Clinic at the duty station, and facilitates subsequent action by the supervisor. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.