UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member State’s priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Reporting to the Regional Director, the Executive Associate is responsible for providing a variety of executive administrative support to the UN Women Regional Director maintaining full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment and, in close coordination with the Regional Office (RO) office management and staff, for managing the efficient flow of information and communications to ensure expeditious dissemination of information, timely action and compliance with established deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the UN Women Regional Director´s calendar, and schedule of appointments and meetings;
- Arrange travel and hotel accommodations and other logistics for the UN Women Regional Director;
- Maintain roster of RO contacts; update electronic mailing lists;
- Answer and screen calls for the Regional Director with tact and discretion;
- Manage administrative files on the Regional Director’s mission travel and mission reports;
- Research files, collect information and organize materials to meet the Regional Director’s requests.
- Undertake the logistical, administrative and financial arrangements, to organize meetings, events, and workshops;
- Organize and attend meetings and events, prepare minutes and summaries;
- Prepare and assemble briefing materials and PowerPoint presentations for the Regional Director for meetings, missions and other key events;
- Organize and monitor the office filing system;
- Follow up with the Regional Director on deadlines and commitments;
- Supervise the functions of the Driver of the Regional Director.
- Facilitate flow of information and communication between the UN Women Regional Director’s Office and other units within or outside of UN Women;
- Review, prioritize and route correspondence to and from the UN Women Regional Director Office; take proactive follow-up action and keep the Regional Director informed;
- Respond to and/or direct inquiries to appropriate units for timely action/response;
- Prepare routine correspondence and interoffice circulars; review documents and reports to ensure spelling, punctuation and format are correct;
- Maintain and organize up to date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval; ensure safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Assist in the preparation and finalization of informal translations; act as interpreter as required.
- Facilitate the Regional Director´s interaction with various external partners through written, verbal and electronic communication, and through collaborative and proactive relationships with counterparts and colleagues in partner offices;
- Receive and greet high ranking officials/visitors;
- Ensure protocol matters, receive high ranking visitors/officials, coordinate logistical arrangements related to visits.
- Provide administrative support for effective knowledge management and sharing within the office and other offices/HQs;
- Build and share knowledge and experience related to administrative and operations support;
- Support the development of other Executive and Administrative Assistants in the region.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Ability to manage data/schedule, documents, correspondence, reports, and maintain protocol and information flow;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature;
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear format, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Ability to administer administrative processes.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education is required;
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or public administration is an asset.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience with administrative, secretarial, or programme experience;
- Experience in the use of computer applications and software packages such as Microsoft Office, and web-based management systems;
- Experience with the ATLAS system is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.