Integrated Support Team Leader
UNDP in Sri Lanka is reorganizing internally and moving to an integrated collaborative business model. Internally, an energetic and innovative team will converge around the planning, design, implementation and quality assurance of an integrated programme in a fast-paced environment. Fostering strategic partnership and alliances with different stakeholders will require a team which consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and has a strong client orientation. Strong UN partnerships are valued for Delivering Together in a true spirit of collaboration and teamwork.
In this context, this function is primarily focused on Coordinating comprehensive operations services, with emphasis on accelerating speed and increasing quality of client-oriented service. The team leader is expected to have a broad operational knowledge base with an additional specialization in one priority, operations area (especially in human resources management as the lead authority on overall people management for UNDP).
Under the direct supervision and strategic guidance of the Country Director, the Integrated Support Team Leader, leveraging the evolving role of UNDPs ERP, increased authority of global service centres for human and financial resources transaction management, focuses on the optimal positioning of operational capacities of the country office in support of the one portfolio strategy. Under the guidance of senior management, the IST Leader is primarily responsible for strategic human resource management as well as all integrated operational support. The IST Leader Chair of the operations Management Team, the Operations Manager provides direct support to the broader UNCT, and is responsible for management of the UN common premises.
Accelerating client services that embrace and nurture new business relationships with partners unfamiliar with UN procedures, the IST Leader internally assesses operational issues and performance which enhance or impede service delivery and visibly promotes the highest ethical standards as a foundational value both ensuring accountability and attracting new partners. Additionally, the team leader leads inter-agency service provision and drives operational integration in support of the OMT and UNCT. The team leader will serve as the primary, technical coordination point with corporate operational service providers, located in GSSCs, the Regional Hub, and/or HQ.
ONLY STAFF AFFECTED BY THE UNDP SRI LANKA CHANGE MANAGEMNT PROCESS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS POSITION. ALL OTHER APPLICANTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ideas and expertise:
As a member of the CO management team, ensures the strategic direction of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of advice to senior management on strategies, policies and plans affecting CO operations.
- CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services,
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment providing quick readjustment to evolving priorities with risk assessment.
- Establish the operations team work plan, objectives, performance indicators and expected results collaboratively with team members and senior management.
- Optimal staffing of the office and projects through timely provision and training of HR applying HR tools and mechanisms and advice on appropriate contract modalities;
- Oversight of recruitment processes and performance management systems ensuring link of job design with recruitment, performance management and career development;
- Ensures that the goals of gender equality and overall diversity are met while simultaneously ensuring regulations and procedures are applied consistently
- Management of the CO contract strategy and oversight of procurement processes and logistical services.
- Proper management of UNDP assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with IPSAS in the accounting for the procurement, utilization and disposal of the CO’s assets.
- Ensures forward-looking information and communication management and supervision of ICT team
- Maintains a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequately plans for disasters and recoveries.
- Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability.
- Establishment of collaborative arrangements with potential partners, a Client Relationship Management System for resource mobilization purposes and appropriate operational partnership arrangements
- Ensures the safety and security of the staff and premises, in particular; supports the implementation of UN/UNDP MOSS compliance. Represents UNDP in the security management team and is responsible for efficient implementation in security measures agreed in the SMT and for compliance with security Policy
- Elaboration of the strategic approach to implementation of common services in line with the UN reform, the latest developments in common services and the best practices;
- Establishment of common services, maintenance of coordinating machinery to ensure integrated activities on common services and implementation of the UN reform;
- Proper planning and tracking of common services budget and of Agencies contributions to the common services account.
- Effective management of the operational support team ensuring their capacity to act
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the CO, organization of the operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Create a learning environment; establish and institutionalize learning opportunities within the CO while aiming to motivate and promote organizational excellence.
- Build capacity of operations staff through coaching and mentoring on staff on all aspects of operations management.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Ability to apply a systematic approach to adapt, control and effect change
Internal Reporting and Accountability
Ability to create internal reporting and accountability processes and standards
Service Delivery Coordination
Ability to coordinate and deliver services in line with service level agreements and standards of excellence in UNDP
Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
Human Resources Management (General)
Knowledge of HR management issues and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations
Ability to motivate and inspire internal resources
Knowledge of organizational development concepts, issues and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree or Bachelor’s in public management, business administration, social policy, public policy, politics, economics, or a related area
- Master’s with 5 years or Bachelor’s with 7 years of relevant experience in the management of integrated operational and management services with a special focus in the management of human resources.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is considered as an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages,
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft (Atlas).
- Fluency in English and in the national language of the duty station. Knowledge of other UN official language is desirable
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Colombo
- Grade: NO-C, National Professional Officer - Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-09-28