INT 2017/25 - Intern - IT Technical User Support - Geneva, Switzerland
Position Title Intern - IT Technical User Support
Duty Station :Geneva, Switzerland Classification Intern, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Internship, Three months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 29 September 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Context:
The User Support Unit in the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Division, focuses on providing high quality Information Technology capabilities and communications support for users in IOM Headquarters. Our goal is to assist the Headquarters users in achieving their mission through the optimum application of Information Technology (IT). SUPERVISION
The candidate will work under the supervision and guidance of the Supervisor of the User Support Geneva Unit and in cooperation with the colleagues from User Support Team in IOM Headquarters.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the User Support Supervisor, and in accordance with the overall direction of the Director of ICT, the candidate will focus on:
1. Assist with general on-site support for HQ users in operation and maintenance of IT systems when necessary.
2. Assist with conducting initial assessment of users’ needs for possible technology upgrades or purchase of IT equipment and peripherals.
3. Maintain and update records of HQ hardware inventory and update list for disposal. 4. Assist in providing first level user support on HQ desktop environment including Windows operating system, MS Office suite and other IOM standard application software. 5. Assist in providing technical support for HQ phone, video conferences, remote meetings and printer setup.
6. Perform such other duties as may be required.
Page 1 / 3Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Technical background, either electronics or computer studies (engineering school or university, finished or in progress);
• Practical experience of delivering general IT technical support services would be an advantage;
• Formal qualification or certification in Windows operating system or related Microsoft software would be a distinct advantage;
• The job requires the incumbent to show competency in team work, reliability under pressure, capacity handle several tasks of varying priorities at the same time and careful observance of technical guidelines.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions. Other:
The incumbent will acquire technical knowledge in the User Support Unit in the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Division . He/She will also gain in-site experience in working with an international organization.
Page 2 / 3Carte de Legitimation
The Organization will obtain the ‘carte de legitimation’ for the duration of the internship for the selected candidate
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and additional queries will only be addressed if the candidate is shortlisted.
• Depending on experience and location, IOM provides a small monthly stipend to help offset costs; please consider the cost of living in Geneva prior to applying to any such intership position.
• Previous candidates do not need to re-apply for this vacancy.
• No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 29 September 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 20.09.2017 to 29.09.2017
Requisition: INT 2017/25 - Intern - IT Technical User Support - Geneva,Switzerland (55184143) Released Posting: Posting NC55184144 (55184144) Released
Page 3 / 3
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: OTHE
- Closing Date: 2017-09-29