CON 2017/65- International Consultant - Tirana, Albania
Position Title International Consultant
Duty Station :Tirana, Albania Classification Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, Sixty working days
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 29 September 2017 Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Context:
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office and direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the successful candidate will contribute to the successful implementation of the project “Supporting the development of a migration policy in Albania” implemented by IOM Tirana, through the financial support of the IOM Development Fund. The overall objective of the project is to support the efforts of the Government of Albania to achieve Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) Target 10.7 to facilitate orderly, safe, and responsible migration and mobility of people, including through implementation of planned and well-managed migration policies.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The International Consultant will be responsible for supporting the IIWG in the development of the migration governance policy and its action plan. He/she will work in cooperation with a national consultant, and will be responsible for:
1. Conducting, in close coordination with the National Consultant, a desk review of the existing policy, institutional framework, coordination mechanisms and migration dynamics in the country as well as existing gaps and recommendations already identified in previous assessments; 2. Providing guidance to the Steering Committee and IIWG for developing migration policy measures and actions;
3. In coordination with IOM Tirana and with the support of the National Consultant, identifying stakeholders and conduct interviews as needed;
4. Assisting IOM Tirana in developing an outline for the round table with national stakeholders and development partners, relevant for collecting inputs, suggestions and recommendations on the structure of the migration policy and action plan. TheInternational Consultant will participate at the round table and present the desk review findings and suggested structure of Page 1 / 4the policy, which will be the basis for further discussion and elaboration; 5. Preparing a first draft of the policy and action plan on the basis of stakeholder inputs collected;
6. Assisting IOM Tirana in organizing a round table with national stakeholders and development partners for reviewing the draft policy document and the action plan prior to their formal endorsement by the Government of Albania. The International Consultant will participate in the round table and present the draft of the migration policy and action plan; 7. Preparing a revised draft of the policy and action plan reflecting the stakeholders comments, suggestions and recommendations presented in the round table;
8. Assisting IOM Tirana in organizing a validation round table with national stakeholders and development partners as relevant. The International Consultant will participate in the round table and present the consolidated policy document and action plan; 9. In coordination with the National Consultant, reflecting the collected information, inputs, feedback and suggestions from the round tables and/or interviews with stakeholders in the draft policy paper and action plan.
10. Submitting a final document of the policy paper and action plan, in coordination with the National Consultant, to the Steering Committee for final validation prior to approval by the Government of Albania.
11. Perform such other duties as assigned.
Tangible and measureable outputs of the work assignment
• A methodology for developing policy measures and actions;
• The list of documents to be analysed and a list of interviewees is to be agreed upon with IOM Albania. IOM Albania will be responsible for identifying the officials and arranging interviews; • Interview questionnaires for stakeholders;
• A field visit to Tirana to conduct interviews;
• Desk Review of the existing policy, institutional framework, including coordination mechanisms, and migration dynamics in the country, including identification of existing gaps and recommendations;
• Outline of the migration policy document and action plan based on the desk review, interviews and IOM inputs;
• Participation in the round tables as well as assisstance in their facilitation; • Presentation of the desk review and stakeholder interview findings and suggested structure of the policy at the first round table;
• First draft of the migration policy and action plan based on the desk review, interviews, the outcomes of the first round table and IOM inputs;
• Presentation of the draft migration policy and action plan at the second round table; • Second draft of the migration policy and action plan, incorporating findings of the second round table and IOM inputs;
Page 2 / 4• Presentation of the consolidated policy document and action plan in the validation round table; • Final version of the policy document and action plan incorporating comments, if any, gathered at the validation workshop;
• The final migration policy document and action plan;
• Electronic files of all gathered documentation to be shared with IOM Albania, including the final migration policy document and action plan.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Political Science, Migration Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in assisting government institutions to draft policy and/or research analysis in Albania and elsewhere;
• Very good knowledge of migration issues in Albania;
• Demonstrated leadership abilities and organizational capacity;
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
• Can work independently and as part of a team;
• Good computer skills.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Albanian is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Page 3 / 4• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
• Effectively applies knowledge of migration management issues within the organizational context.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 29 September 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 20.09.2017 to 29.09.2017
Requisition: CON 2017/65 - International Consultant - Tirana, Albania (55184127) Released Posting: Posting NC55184128 (55184128) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Tirana (Albania)
- Grade: OTHE
- Closing Date: 2017-09-29
Regional Equity Situation Analysis of Children and Women (SitAn) 2019 consultant, (6 months),(Open for non-Ethiopian Nationals)UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
FS-6, Field Service - No need for Higher Education - Internationally recruited position
P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
New York City (United States of America)