Project Coordinator – Youth Project (Preference to Kuwaiti nationals)
Kuwait City (Kuwait)
UNDP and the State of Kuwait, represented by the General Secretariat of the Supreme Council of Planning and Development (GSSCPD), strive to enhance institutional capacities at various government agencies by providing them with necessary technical support to strengthen their capacities and skills to perform their expected duties.
Under the framework of the “Youth Empowerment in Kuwait” project, UNDP and The Ministry of State for Youth Affairs (MoSYA) aim to strengthen the capacities of MoSYA and Youth Public Authority (YPA) to enable them to better harness the energy and power of youth and their ability to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It is aspired that the long-term impact of the project and of UNDP’s continuous support to MoSYA and YPA will pave the way towards ensuring that the State of Kuwait is well-positioned to play a leadership role in the area of youth empowerment at the regional and international levels.
The project represents a multi-level concerted effort to bolster the capabilities of MoSYA and YPA and expand their assets in order to meet the growing internal and external demand to promote and support youth empowerment. It also aims to position Kuwait as a youth leader at the national and regional levels during and after “Kuwait Capital of Arab Youth 2017.” Operationally, the project will put an accent on quality, results, and sustainability to more efficiently develop national capacities to reach the targeted goals.
Within this context, MOSYA is seeking to recruit a Project Coordinator to ensure the project implementation, in close collaboration with project counterparts, and other institutes as appropriate. The Project Coordinator is responsible for ensuring needed support is provided to implement the workplan in order to achieve the outputs.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of UNDP Kuwait’s Programme Officer in collaboration with MOSYA and YPA, the Project Coordinator will be responsible for all tasks related to the effective support to the management and administration of the project while providing ongoing administrative support and assistance, also performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work, including the following key duties;
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide support to management of ongoing project activities;
- Support to administrative and logistical services;
- Support to project maintenance and assets management;
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing;
- Any other duties as assigned.
Ensures provision of support to management of ongoing project activities, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Prepare project Annual Work Plan (AWP) and ensure its timely delivery;
- Assist in arranging logistics, preparing agenda and coordinating with related stakeholders for organizing workshops as and when required;
- Prepare minutes for program/project meetings and in drafting research reports as required;
- Organize the planned events of the project;
- Prepare the project’s required reports;
- Preparation of budget revisions, support to the preparation of annual and quarterly work plans as well as project board meetings, audit, operational and financial closure of a project;
- Support to the preparation of quarterly project reports, in line with the monitoring and reporting guidelines and presents it to the project assurance team on a timely manner;
- Compiles, summarizes and enters data on project delivery; drafts related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and brings to the attention of management.
Provides effective Administrative, Financial and Procurement management and support to the project, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Prepare, revise the recruitment and procurement plan;
- Mobilize and manage personnel, goods and services, training and initiate activities, including drafting terms of reference and work specifications and facilitating all contractors’ work;
- Coordinate the recruitment and selection of project consultants;
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Provide support to the recruitment process to international consultants hired by the counterpart;
- Provide support to international consultants in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results (communication, contracts, agenda, visas, hotel reservations, etc.);
- Maintain records on all project personnel/national consultants and their respective status (contracts, TORs, time and attendance – if appropriate, etc.) in accordance with accepted policies and procedures;
- Make pertinent logistical arrangements for the prompt and effective implementation of the programme activities;
- Draft minutes of Project Board and other project related meetings;
- Assume overall responsibility for administrative matters of a more general nature, such as registry and maintenance of project files and records;
- Arrange external and internal meetings (including the meetings of the Project Board, Technical level, as well as other relevant meetings etc.).
- Prepare requests for advance of funds and/or direct payments;
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions;
- Prepare and submit expenditure and programme budget status reports;
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparations and audit;
- Advise and assist international advisors and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks on an ad hoc basis.
- Monitor the budgets of the project;
- Assist the implementing partner in fulfilling the responsibilities of the project and budget monitoring, using best practices;
- In accordance with the Project Work Plan arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Create and manage e-requisitions in ATLAS;
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing for the project, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/programme staff
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems.
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
- BA /BSc degree in Business Administration, Bachelor of Commerce, Human Resources, Finance, Social Sciences, International Relations and any other related fields.
- Minimum 4 years in project management;
- Experience of working in a multicultural team is advantage;
- Experience and familiarity with media outreach tools, including social media is advantage;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems is an advantage
- Fluency in English and Arabic language both written and oral.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
The priority will be given to Kuwaiti national personnel or others legally authorized to work in the country.
The priority will be given to Kuwaiti nationals or those who have a legal residency/work permit in the country.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Kuwait City (Kuwait)
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract - Administrative support
- Social studies
- Closing Date: 2017-10-10