Project Coordinator – Central Statistics Bureau (Preference for Kuwaitis)
Kuwait City (Kuwait)
The Institutional Capacity Development for Implementation of the Kuwait National Development Plan (ICDI/KNDP) provides a framework of technical support to the General Secretariat of the Supreme Council for Planning and Development (GSSCPD), the Central Statistics Bureau (CSB) and other public entities to create an enabling environment for KNDP results achievement. The project specific outputs include:
- Improved human capacity and organizational effectiveness of the GSSCPD for development planning.
- Enhanced Institutional and human capacities of the CSB for evidence-based plans and policies on sustainable development.
- Increased technical expertise and institutional capacities for strategic planning and implementation of KNDP projects by public entities.
In this context, the project relies on a wide range of consultancies and individual experts in different areas of to support GSSCPD, CSB, and other governmental institutions to support the work on sectoral plans and provide technical advice during the project implementation process. Recently, the project has launched a reporting mechanism to facilitate the reporting between GSSCPD and different governmental institutions for monitoring the progress of KNDP execution and relevant sectorial plans.
The implementation of the project requires maintaining a continuously coordinate between the project and different governmental institutions where consultants are embedded by the project to maximize the flexibility of project responsiveness to changing capacity development needs and harmonizing the project plans and consultancies with the overarching aim of KNDP smooth execution.
Within this context, CSB is seeking to recruit a Project Coordinator with a proven knowledge/experience of statistical terms to ensure the implementation of CSB outputs and activities within the ICDI/KNDP project, in close collaboration with project counterparts, UNDP, GSSCPD, CSB and other institutes as appropriate. The Project Coordinator is responsible for ensuring needed support is provided to implement the outputs. The Project Coordinator will also focus on enhancing the capacity of the CSB to deliver successful implementation of the projects’ outputs by working directly with the staff to ensure they successfully apply UNDP administrative, recruitment and procurement rules and procedures to support achievement of the results of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and supervision of UNDP Kuwait and collaboration of GSSCPD and CSB, the Project Coordinator will be responsible for all tasks related to the effective administration of the CSB related outputs and activities within the ICDI/KNDP Project and provides ongoing project and administrative assistance and support to the project, performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work, including the following key duties.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide support to management of ongoing project activities;
- Support to administrative and logistical services;
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing;
- Any other task assigned by the Supervisor.
Ensures provision of support to management of ongoing project activities, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide inputs in the elaboration of work plan;
- Assist in arranging logistics, preparing agenda and coordinating with related stakeholders for organizing workshops as and when required;
- Assist in minutes taking for program/project meetings and in drafting research reports as required;
- Assist in coordinating of the planned events of the project;
- Assist in drafting inputs for the project’s reports;
- Preparation of budget revisions, support to the preparation of annual and quarterly work plans as well as project board meetings, audit, operational and financial closure of a project;
- Support to the preparation of quarterly project reports, in line with the monitoring and reporting guidelines and presents it to the project assurance team on a timely manner;
- Compiles, summarizes and enters data on project delivery; drafts related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and brings to the attention of management.
Provides effective Administrative, Financial and Procurement management and support to the project, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Prepare, revise the recruitment and procurement plan;
- Mobilize and manage personnel, goods and services, training and initiate activities, including drafting statistics related terms of reference and work specifications and facilitating all contractors’ work;
- Coordinate the recruitment and selection of project consultants;
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Provide support to the recruitment process to international consultants hired by the counterpart;
- Provide support to international consultants in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results (communication, contracts, agenda, visas, hotel reservations, etc.);
- Maintain records on all project personnel/national consultants and their respective status (contracts, TORs, time and attendance – if appropriate, etc.) in accordance with accepted policies and procedures;
- Make pertinent logistical arrangements for the prompt and effective implementation of the programme activities;
- Draft minutes of Project Board and other project related meetings;
- Assume overall responsibility for administrative matters of a more general nature, such as registry and maintenance of project files and records;
- Arrange external and internal meetings (including the meetings of the Project Board, Technical level, as well as other relevant meetings etc.).
- Prepare requests for advance of funds and/or direct payments;
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions;
- Prepare and submit expenditure and programme budget status reports;
- Respond to queries from the Parliament and UNDP with respect to financial aspects of the programme, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparations and audit;
- Advise and assist international advisors and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks on an ad hoc basis.
- Monitor the budgets of the project;
- Assist the implementing partner in fulfilling the responsibilities of the project and budget monitoring, using best practices;
- In accordance with the Project Work Plan arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Create and manage e-requisitions in ATLAS;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
- Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing for the project, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/programme staff;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives;
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing;
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Promoting Organizational Change and Development;
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions;
- Design and Implementation of Management Systems;
- Uses information/databases/other management systems.
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
- BA /BSc degree in Business Administration, Statistics, Human Resources, Finance, Social Sciences, International Relations and any other related fields.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in work related to statistics or knowledge in the area of statistics;
- Minimum 4 years of experience in project management or project coordination;
- Previous knowledge of UNDP human resources policies is an advantage;
- Previous experience working in government and international organizations is an advantage;
- Experience of working in a multicultural team is advantage;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems is an advantage;
- Excellent computer skills, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.….) and ability to use information technology as a tool and resource.
- Fluency in English and Arabic language both written and oral.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
The priority will be given to Kuwaiti national personnel or others legally authorized to work in the country.
The priority will be given to Kuwaiti nationals or those who have a legal residency/work permit in the country.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Kuwait City (Kuwait)
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract - Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-10-14