Technical Officer - M& E
Organization : Under a special arrangement between UN Resident Coordinator’s Office and the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
Supervisor : Joint Secretary, DoEPwD and concerned Directors for day-to-day operations
Duty Station : New Delhi
Persons with disabilities are widely acknowledged to be one of the most marginalized social groups. In order to address the challenges faced by the 26.8 million persons with disabilities in India, the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has undertaken several schemes and programmes, such as the Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS) to promote voluntary action for persons with disabilities, and the District Disability Rehabilitation Centers (DDRC) scheme, among others.
The objectives of the DDRS are: (i) to create an enabling environment to ensure equal opportunities, equity, social justice and empowerment of persons with disabilities; (ii) to encourage voluntary action for ensuring effective implementation of the Persons with Disabilities Act of 1995.
With the recent enactment of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016, in keeping with India’s commitment to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), it is an opportune moment to evaluate some of these schemes. Creation of a monitoring and evaluation framework for these schemes will also inform the implementation of the newly enacted disability law.
UN in India as part of its strategic priority on inclusion, is collaborating with the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment to provide technical support towards the operationalization of the new Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016. As part of this work, the Resident Coordinator’s Office will support the formulation of a monitoring framework for organizations undertaking schemes of the Department. Towards this, UN in India is looking for dynamic individuals for the position of Technical Officer (M&E).
Duties and Responsibilities
This position falls under a special arrangement between the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office and the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. The Technical Officer (M&E) will work under the guidance and supervision of the Joint Secretary, DoEPwD, and report to the concerned Directors of the DoEPwD for day-to-day operations and will be primarily responsible for coordinating the work on developing a monitoring and evaluation framework for schemes undertaken by non-governmental organizations.
- Supporting the development of tools/instruments for monitoring implementation of schemes of the Department, including through disaggregated data based on gender, caste, religion, etc., as advised by the DoEPwD.
- Support trainings for government officials, including State governments, and implementing partners, etc. on the monitoring and evaluation frameworks;
- Under the guidance of the Department, support steps towards institutionalizing a M&E mechanism for the specified schemes;
- Support the follow-up & monitoring of recommendations;
- Support the preparation of consolidated progress reports;
- Supporting awareness raising and capacity building activities;
- Coordinating with partner ministries and State governments;
- Establishing linkages with relevant partners, including government ministries and departments, academia, and civil society;
- Drafting notes, reports, presentation and any other documents related to the above-mentioned activities;
- Providing a monthly self-assessment report to the supervisor;
- Performing any other related tasks, as assigned by the Department.
- Additionally, a monthly self-assessment report has to be submitted to the supervisor. Reports will be shared with the Resident Coordinator’s Office in a manner and frequency as agreed upon by the DoEPwD.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Knowledge on development issues, particularly disability issues;
- Strong understanding of various monitoring and evaluation tools, and strategic planning;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities skills;
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and report on work.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards
- Positive, constructive attitude to work
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in management, social sciences, or related field
- At least 3 years of experience of working on planning, design and implementation of M&E systems, and data analysis.
- Candidates with experience of working on disability issues will be given preference
- Proficiency in spoken and written English. A good command over Hindi is desirable.
Remuneration package is approx. Rs. 91,380/- per month (taxable). UNDP also offers additional benefits which include medical insurance coverage and limited pension reimbursement for contract holder and encourages work life balance to its employees.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: New Delhi
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract - Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-10-05