Programme Analyst, Humanitarian action and resilience building (Myanmar National Only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women's Humanitarian Unit consolidates and supports the entity's existing humanitarian work, including disaster risk reduction for preparedness for risk prevention and mitigation, through its headquarters, regional and country offices, working closely with other divisions within the organization. The aim of UN Women's engagement in humanitarian action is to ensure consistency and sustainability in addressing gender equality concerns across the humanitarian-development continuum as well as to improve awareness and commitment, enhance capacity and strengthen partnerships with national entities, civil society, regional institutions and the international humanitarian system. UN Women's role is to support coordination and accountability efforts and humanitarian providers to make determined and consistent response to women's needs in humanitarian emergencies. UN Women plans to develop the capacity for assessment and coordination of gender-specific needs in humanitarian responses. We will help concentrate the collective synergies, skills and resources of our partners to meet women's immediate survival and safety needs and to build women's empowerment for the longer-term resilience of communities and sustainability of humanitarian action.
Reporting to Regional Humanitarian Advisor, the Programme Analyst contributes to the effective management and coordination of UN Women Humanitarian action and resilience building programmes in humanitarian-development continuum in Myanmar (particularly focusing on Kachin, Rakhine and Northern Shan) by providing substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. S/he guides and facilitates the delivery of UN Women programmes by monitoring results achieved during implementation and ensuring appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary. She/he is also responsible for coordinating with national partners and statekeholders in the Humanitarian field in Myanmar. The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the programme and operations teams in Myanmar and regional office of UN Women, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. building, particularly considering context of humanitarian-development continuum and finding solutions which offer longer-term solutions
- Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
- Identify areas for support and intervention related to the programme and liaise with the regional humanitarian unit for advice and actions
2. Coordinate and provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of the humanitarian programme
- Coordinate and provide technical inputs to the overall Programme/Portfolio work plan development and implementation according to programme document
- Lead the implementation of programme activities at the state and national level;
- Lead the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
- Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Train partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation.
3. Provide technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners including at local level
- Coordinate and provide technical support in the implementation of programme activities;
- Coordinate relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the humanitarian action and resilience building programme;
- Identify capacity building needs and support partners through technical/ programming assistance, mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives, as needed.
4. Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
- Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results based management tools, including conducting regular monitoring visits, as required;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results, outputs and outcomes;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports e.g quarterly reports, annual reports.
5. Provide substantive technical inputs to the management of people and finances of the humanitarian action and resilience building programme
- Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary;
- Monitor the allocation and disbursement of funds to participating partners;
- Provide substantive inputs to financial reports.
6. Support efforts in building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies on humanitarian-development programming opportunities
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases;
- Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
- Maintain regular communication with relevant government, UN, CSO and other partners and facilitate information sharing, partnership on various information
7. Contribute to inter-agency coordination to achieve a coherent and aligned presence for humanitarian action and resilience building in Myanmar
- Provide substantive technical support to the Head of UN Women Myanmar and Regional Humanitarian Advisor on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports and briefs.
- Represent UN Women at relevant interagency coordination meetings as required and provide technical assistance for gender mainstreaming into humanitarian actions
8. Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to humanitarian action and resilience building;
- Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on humanitarian action and resilience building.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality substantive inputs programme strategies and activities;
- Timely and quality substantive inputs to workplans and budgets;
- Adherence to UN Women standards and rules;
- Timely monitoring and tracking of programme results and finances;
- Strong relationship with partners and stakeholders;
- Timely organization of events;
- Quality of knowledge and advocacy products.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
- Good analytical skills
- Good knowledge of humanitarian action and resilience building
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, international law or other social science fields is required with at least 2 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building in the area of humanitarian preparedness and response, gender and development, and/or related fields.
- OR Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, international law or other social science fields is required with at least 4 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building in the area of humanitarian preparedness and response, gender and development, and/or related fields.
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors.
- Experience in resource mobilization efforts is an asset;
- Willing to travel to remote locations under difficult circumstances
- Experience working with the UN is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
- Knowledge of local language in the duty station is an asset
UNDP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
Only those candidates in whose qualifications and experience the Organization has further interest will be contacted for subsequent interview(s).
UNDP regrets its inability to reply individually or attend to telephone and e-mail queries on the advertised posts.