New York City
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Support to effective and efficient functioning of the Management Unit
- Support to administrative and logistical services
- Support to office maintenance and assets management
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Preparation of administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Preparation of administrative results-oriented work plans.
- Manages contacts database and mailing lists
- Archives Governing Body and the Operational Steering Committee decisions and communications
- Keeps track and Manages of all Regional, Country and Joint Programmes related information and relevant files in a single share drive or online tools available to all members of the Governing Body and the Operational Steering Committee
- Contacts with visitors and staff, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
- Compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings of the Governing Body and the Operational Steering Committee, regular coordination meetings and missions
- Performance of a Buyer role in Atlas and preparation of POs for travel activities.
- Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation. Preparation of PO’s.
- Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents.
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats.
- Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services.
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Extraction of data from various sources.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
- Maintenance of records on assets management, preparation of reports.
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance
- Provision of support to maintenance of common premises and common services
- The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the Management Unit. Accurate presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the Fund and promotes the image of the UN as an effective contributor to end violence against Women and Girls.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Analyses general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
Required Skills and Experience
- Completed Secondary Education is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree or certificate in Public or Business Administration or equivalent is an asset, but it is not a requirement.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in administration or programme support services, and working with ERP systems
- Experience in the use of computers applications and software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) as well as web based management systems.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Externally advertised GS fixed-term appointment and temporary appointment (TA) positions located in New York/Washington D.C. are open to candidates who are either US Permanent Residents, US Citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Selected candidates who meet the above mentioned eligibility criteria are responsible for their own travel and/or relocation costs.
Selection to GS fixed-term appointment positions at Headquarters requires passing a UN administered clerical test (ASAT). External applicants to General Service (GS) positions in New York who already possess a Bachelor’s degree or an accredited certification in a technical field (e.g. IT, Finance, or Procurement) will not need to obtain/pass the UN Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT). However, passing specialized tests (e.g. Finance and Accounting technical assessments) may still be required for some General Service (GS) positions, as specified in the vacancy announcement.
Applicants under serious consideration for short-listing of posts requiring accountancy and finance skills, must take the UNDP Accountancy and Finance Test (UNDP AFT) prior to short-listing.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: New York City
- Grade: GS-5, General Service - Administrative support
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-10-03