New York City
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the annual plan for Governing Body and OSC meetings
- Elaborates in coordination with the Co-chairs draft detailed agendas
- Drafts supportive documentation, technical notes or speeches for the Co-chairs of both the Governing Body and Operational Steering Committee
- Drafts minutes and circulates for comments and finalization
- Monitors action points and reports back to the OSC
- Communicates decisions to the concerned stakeholders
- Plans and organizes joint mission by the Governing Body or the OSC to priority countries when requested
- Liaises with UN Agencies at HQ regarding activities of the Governing Body and OSC
- Facilitates linkages and consistency between the Fund and other VAWG related initiatives
- Supports the preparation of the Annual Work Plan(s) and budget for the Management Unit
- Supports the preparation of job descriptions, vacancy announcements, and office set-up
- Mobilizes goods and services to initiate activities
- Coordinates administrative support for the meetings of the Operational Steering Committee
- Ensures preparation/revision of Fund operational arrangements and rules of procedures (Manual of Operations)
- Supports the establishment of Country level Steering Committees, and application of global guidelines regarding composition and functions
- Designs and reviews appropriate templates
- Monitors and ensures application by Recipient UN Organizations of the Fund procedures and applicable templates
- Manages Gateway up-load when necessary
- Governing Body and OSC Annual Work Plan and Decisions
- Implementation of Manual of Operation and subsequent revision including all mandatory template
- Functional Country level Steering Committees
- Implementation of the Programming Cycle as described in the Fund ToRs
- Creates effective advocacy strategies; Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration; Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation; Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals; Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters (Advanced level) University Degree in one or more of the following disciplines: international development, economics, social studies, business studies or other equivalent fields.A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at the national and international level in international development issues, both in the field and HQ.
- Experience in managing gender initiatives with a great understanding of the stakeholders engaged to end violence against women and girls and/or related policy matters.
- Experience in designing/managing large projects/programmes or Trust Fund is an asset.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of French or Spanish is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment. For more information please click here and here.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: New York City
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-10-03