UN Women is grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls, the empowerment of women, and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action in PNG. Goal 5 of its Global Strategic Plan (2012-2013) focuses on addressing women, peace and security in conflict and post conflict areas.
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Country Director and the direct supervision of the Operations Manager, the ICT Assistant provides ICT and administrative support services to the Country Office (CO), provides daily technical support to users of information management tools and technology infrastructure. The ICT Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach.
The ICT Assistant works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams for resolving complex ICT-related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide support to the implementation of ICT strategies and new technologies in accordance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures
- Provide inputs to the development and implementation of the ICT annual work plan;
- Provide IT support in the use of Atlas (UN Women’s implementation of PeopleSoft ERP) functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
- Provide technical support in the functioning of the Country Office hardware and software
- Make routine repairs and change hardware electronic components;
- Provide technical support to the installation and maintenance of all communication systems including mobile and satellite phones;
- Provide technical support to the installation commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades, anti-virus programmes;
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of the software and hardware;
- Monitor file server traffic, usage, and performance on a regular basis.
Ensure efficient networks administration
- Monitor the network connection on a daily basis to ensure stable and responsive network environment;
- Configure network printers and provide user access as required;
- Trouble-shoot and monitor network problems; respond to user needs and questions regarding network access;
- Maintain backup logs; organize off-site storage of backups;
- Maintain measures for business continuity and disaster recovery processes and procedures including backup and restoration of both server and local storage facilities;
- Provide technical support to Local Area Network (LAN) management in accordance with UN Women requirements.
Provide web management services
- Maintain the Country Office web site and intranet.
Provide administrative support regarding ICT issues
- Maintain inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement Unit;
- Research and retrieval of data from internal and external sources; prepare statistical charts, tables, and reports as required;
- Provide ICT support to key events.
Provide technical support and advice to Country Office and Country Office staff
- Diagnose, evaluate, and prioritize requests for assistance from staff in Country Office and country offices experiencing problems with hardware, application software, operating systems, networking and other computer related issues;
- Set up new email accounts for Country Office staff;
- Liaise with ICT staff in HQ for support and guidance;
- Meet all ICT on-boarding requirements for new staff.
Contribute to knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the Country Office
- Contribute to the organization of trainings for the Country Office staff on ICT issues;
- Maintain library of reference materials;
- Synthesize lessons learned and best practices in ICT.
Key Performance Indicators
- Well maintained and serviced hardware and software
- Quality support and advice to clients
- Timely web maintenance
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good knowledge of PC/LAN operating systems, Microsoft Windows, corporate ICT security and virus protection systems;
- Good PC hardware troubleshooting skills;
- Good knowledge of video conferencing and telecommunication;
- Good knowledge of database packages;
- Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes;
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification
- Completion of secondary education is required
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science is an asset
- Cisco Certified Network Engineer (CCNE) and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) or Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) required. If certification is not available at the time of recruitment, it should be obtained within 6 months
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible and practical experience in network administration, ICT administration including corporate networks, internet connectivity, data security and maintaining hardware/software, telecommunications facilities.
Fluency in English is required