In January 2017, the UNDP Regional Centre for Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States and the Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic (MF SR) transferred the implementation of the Public Finance for Development (PFD) Programme (launched in 2009) into the framework of the broader project - PUBLIC AND PRIVATE FINANCE FOR DEVELOPMENT. The goal of the PFD programme is to strengthen and enhance national capacities of partner countries in public finance by developing analytical capacities and sharing good practice with regard to reforms implemented in Slovakia and elsewhere and post-reform experiences in public financial management (PFM). The Programme applies programmatic demand driven approach to cooperation. The cooperation areas are defined by beneficiaries who closely participate on designing and planning specific activities. Nowadays, the programme partner countries are Moldova, Montenegro and partially, Ukraine and Serbia. Among the Programme objectives is to ensure promotion and visibility of the development initiatives supported by the Programme, their results and impact. So far, the main communication channel has been the PDF Programme website (http://publicfinance.undp.sk) and number of ad hoc communication activities. However, the new Programme phase requires more complex and strategic approach to communication. Thus, UNDP and MF SR recently approved the Communication Action Plan (CAP) for 2017-2019. CAP is understood rather as a communication vision, long-term and comprehensive strategic document, consisting of a number of potential communication actions. As the PFD Programme is the integral part of the overall MF SR development assistance agenda, the CAP reflects the need for broader communication scope. ObjectivesThe objective of the assignment is to increase knowledge and awareness about the PFD programme and related MF SR/UNDP activities and increase the MF SR recognition as the carrier of the PFM expertise amongst domestic and international experts and donor community.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant shall fulfill the objectives of this assignment by conducting the following activities:
- Annual PFD Communication and Visibility Plan: based on the approved Communication Action Plan for 2017-2019, and in cooperation with MF SR and UNDP prepare the Annual Communication and Visibility Plan that will prioritize the CAP activities (communication tools and products) to be implemented, specify their timeframes and responsibilities;
- Visibility guidelines: to define the standards and format of visibility actions and products (templates, logos, fonts, boilerplate, etc.) to be used in projects financed by MF SR in partner countries to enhance communication coherence. The guidelines should be in line with MF SR/Slovak public administration guidelines and UNDP branding standards.
Content creation and curation:
- Writing (articles, blogs, hand-outs, etc.),
- Photography (events, etc.),
- Cooperation with MF SR internal and external experts, assisting with the development and editing of public materials on specific subjects,
- Active participation in the PFD Programme events upon agreement with the Programme Manager;
- developing sustainable relations with Slovak media and selected media in partners countries,
- ensuring the information flow and support to journalists in the PFD Programme related issues,
- Ensuring media coverage of the Programme activities (e.g. press releases, press conferences, photo coverage and interviews, etc.);
- Liaising with media to communicate key messages to defined target audiences
- Developing short stories/best practice stories and articles to be published in newspapers/magazines/online platforms
WEB Sites and Social Media Management:
- Re-design the current PFD programme website (http://publicfinance.undp.sk),
- Regular update of the Programme website, creating and managing its content (writing articles, blogs, editing, uploading documents, graphics, audio, video content);
- Developing the Programme related content for the UNDP, MF SR and potentially other relevant websites,
- Active work with defined Programme social media,
- Research and monitoring relevant websites and social media channels as needed;
- Preparing the Programme information products (leaflet/one pager) and its regular update (once in ½ year and/or upon the request of the Donor),
- Design and produce other products (e.g. press kits, promotional leaflets, brochures, information packages, including cooperation with a graphic designer on their layout and graphics)
- Design and manage production of other promotional products,
- Support the Programme partners (MF SR and UNDP) and the PFD Programme experts with presentations preparation to ensure compliance with visibility guidelines and fulfilment of CAP goals.
Research, monitoring and evaluation:
- Conducting research and data collection for publications, articles, blogs, reports, etc.,
- Regularly tracking the web and social media statistics and preparing regular reports,
- Monitoring and evaluating various communications tools and activities, to measure the impact on achieving the overall objectives;
- Preparing technical specification of services to be provided by other external contractors in support of promotional and visibility activities and support to related procurement process;
- Liaising with Programme partners, UNDP communication officers and focal points in respective UNDP country offices and in UNDP RC in Istanbul, including the New Partnerships and Emerging Donors team and with MF SR Press Dept. if requested;
Deliverables:The following key results and deliverables are expected:
- Created the network of domestic (Slovak) and foreign/international media partners;
- The Programme dedicated website developed, maintained and regularly updated
- The Programme related content for the UNDP corporate website, MF SR website and other, defined relevant websites developed,
- Social media platforms regularly updated
- Communication products/hand-outs designed, developed, updated and disseminated to target audiences
- The Programme activities and results promoted and visibility increased via appropriated communication channels in Slovakia and abroad.
A draft PDF Communication and Visibility Plan will be delivered within 7 days after receiving supporting Programme documents (Programme document, Programme progress reports and final report for 2014-2016, final evaluation report). Specific deliverables and timeframes will be agreed on a monthly basis in writing between the Consultant and the Programme manager based on the approved PDF Communication and Visibility Plan. Promotional products will be prepared by the Consultant in English and/or Slovak upon agreement with the Programme manager and the Donor. Duration and Remuneration:It is estimated that the above tasks would require up to 400 working days during the period of the assignment. The work will be primarily home based with occasional travel in the region as needed. Payments will be made in installments upon submission of a satisfactory progress report against expected results and deliverables, a time-sheet providing details of time spent on respective tasks and deliverables, their timely execution, and acceptance by the Programme Manager. Payments will be made on a minimum monthly basis. Any approved travel necessary for the completion of the assignment will be covered separately in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. A mission agenda must be submitted by the Consultant at least 7 days prior to the travel and approved by the Programme Manager.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment
- Solid writing and communication skills in English and Slovak
- Experience in website development and management
- Knowledge of website applications, basic knowledge of HTML, of photo editing and design software
- Knowledge and experience in local and international media market
- Overview of development agenda
- Strong interpersonal, communication and networking skills
- Able to communicate and work with diverse people
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree in journalism, political science, social science, public affairs, public relations, development studies, communications or other relevant fields.
- At least 3 years of experience in media or online communications, active use of social media, publication and report writing, including research or data collection (proven by a portfolio of promotional and visibility materials/content prepared by the Consultant).
- At least 2 years of experience in website development and management, including creating and uploading its content.
- Managing website experience in international organizations, government or non-profit sector would be a strong asset (proven by specific websites developed and managed by the Consultant).
- Understanding of development cooperation in Europe and the CIS (particularly in Moldova and Montenegro) and of the role of Slovak Republic as a donor proved by work and/or consulting experience is an asset.
- Excellent English writing and communication skills are required
- Fluency in Slovak language is required
Evaluation of Applicants:Individual consultants will be evaluated based on a cumulative analysis taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications and financial proposal.The award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Technical Criteria – 70% of total evaluation – max 35 points
- Criteria A (Academic background specified in the announcement) – max 5 points
- Criteria B (At least 3 years of experience in media and/or online communications, active use of social media, publication and report writing, including research and data collection) – max 10 points
- Criteria C (At least 2 years of experience in website development and management, including creating and uploading its content. Managing website experience in international organizations, government or non-profit sector would be a strong asset) – max 10 points
- Criteria D (Understanding of development cooperation in Europe and the CIS and of the role of the Slovak Republic as a donor, proved by work and/or consulting experience) – max 10 points.
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation – max. 15 pointsOnly the highest ranked candidates who would be found qualified for the job will be considered for the Financial Evaluation.Application Procedure:Qualified candidates are requested to apply online via this website. The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application.
- Portfolio of promotional materials developed by a candidate – please submit links in the “Resume and Motivation” section along with the cover letter.
- Filled and duly signed P11 form including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees; please upload the P11 instead of your CV.
- Financial Proposal* - specifying an all-inclusive daily fee in USD for the tasks specified in this announcement.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials.*Please note that the financial proposal is all-inclusive and shall take into account various expenses incurred by the consultant/contractor during the contract period (e.g. fee, health insurance, vaccination or any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services) with exception of travel costs for missions. Travel costs to beneficiary countries, if required, will be covered separately in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.Payment will be made in installments upon submission of time-sheets and certification by the Programme Manager on delivering on the contract obligations in a satisfactory manner. Individual Consultants are responsible for ensuring they have vaccinations/inoculations when travelling to certain countries, as designated by the UN Medical Director. Consultants are also required to comply with the UN security directives set forth under dss.un.org.General Terms and conditions as well as other related documents can be found under: http://on.undp.org/t7fJs. Qualified women and members of minorities are encouraged to apply.Due to large number of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.