The purpose of this project is to transfer technologies for climate resilient flood management in Vrbas River Basin (VRB), UNDP, BiH to enable the communities of the Vrbas basin to adapt to flood risk through the transfer of adaptation technologies for climate resilient flood management, upgrade and rehabilitation of the hydrometric monitoring network, development of a flood forecasting system and early warning system, development of emergency response plans, and provision of training in flood-specific civil protection. Importantly, the project will provide targeted training on climate-induced FRM to over 100 practitioners and decisions makers, and will develop an institutional capacity development plan for the long-term development of capability and capacity in Flood Risk Management (FRM). The project will work closely with affected communities to introduce climate resilient community-based non-structural measures and provide training to local communities in climate resilient FRM. This will include the introduction of agro-forestry, community-based early warning systems, reforestation and introduction of financial instruments such as index-based flood insurance and credit deference schemes as a means of compensating for flood damages for agriculture.
The overall objective of this assignment is to analyze afforestation potentials as a measure to be introduced as a new approach for flood risk reduction in Vrbas River Basin (VRB). The expert will propose afforestation/reforestation for concrete locations within the whole basin including suitable species, considering information on flood risk consisted in newly developed flood risk maps. Also the expert will analyze the ownership structure of the areas/locations proposed for afforestation and recommend concreate sites and best modalities for pilot implementation. The expert should provide information on where and what type of afforestation can give best effects for flood risk reduction, and also will recommend the sites/species for pilot implementation.
Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) is a middle income country which is still recovering from the 1992-1995 war which had a devastating impact on its human, social and economic resources, leading to enormous challenges of the post-war reconstruction and economic and social recovery. This challenge has been further compounded by the transition towards market economy requiring structural reforms and improved governance. The slow rate of the post-war economic recovery of Bosnia and Herzegovina has been compounded by the negative impacts of climate change on key sectors such as agriculture, energy (hydropower), the environment and, in particular, the frequency and magnitude of flood disasters, which have tripled in frequency in the last decade. In May 2014, Bosnia and Herzegovina experienced its worst flooding in 150 years which resulted in 23 deaths and $2.7 Billion USD worth of damages which is 15% of GDP, and is expected to result in a 1.1 percent contraction in the economy this year, compared to the growth of 2.2 percent that had been predicted before the flood.BiH is significantly exposed to the threats of climate change, but has very limited capacity to address and adapt to its negative impacts, in particular the frequency and magnitude of floods from its major rivers. The Vrbas River basin is characterized by a large rural population comprised of the poorest and most vulnerable communities in BiH, including war returnees and displaced people, with high exposure to flooding and its devastating impacts.
Duties and Responsibilities
The expert should work in consultation with and under the guidance and supervision of the Project Manager (PM). Specifically, his\her responsibilities are but not limited to the following:
- Analyze flood hazard and flood risk maps for Vrbas river basin;
- Identify areas in VRB within the flood reach of Q20, Q100 and Q500 which have best potential for reforestation/ afforestation, from the aspect of flood risk reduction potential;
- Assess and identify likely impact of reforestation/afforestation of the upland areas of the VRB and identify priorities (locations/zones);
- Identify cca 8oo ha of area in Vrbas river basin suitable for afforestation;
- Propose 2 sites/zones for within VRB pilot implementation and develop implementation plan including cost benefit analysis;
- For each identified location/zone analyze land cover/use characteristics, ownership structure and propose suitable type of reforestation/afforestation for each identified category, considering economic aspects of planting as well as future usage (for recreation, wood mass production…etc);
- Discuss proposed measures with relevant authorities (forest management companies, municipalities, private owners);
- Prepare detailed floodplain reforestation/ afforestation report which determine appropriate species, sites/zones proposed for reforestation/ afforestation, propose reforestation/ afforestation technique for each different site including cost calculation and potential environmental (flood reduction) and economic benefits; The report should contain estimated reforestation/ afforestation costs;
- Archiving and documenting all activities;
- Ensuring the timely and effective management of the activities as scheduled;
- Providing progress reports to the PM.
Deliverables and timelines
The consultant is responsible for the following deliverables:
- Zones for pilot implementation of reforestation/ afforestation measures identified and implementation plan completed - 15 Dec 2017;
- Detailed floodplain forestation report accepted by UNDP - 31 Mar 2018;
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modeling UN values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Knowledge on BiH gender equality mainstreaming institutions, regulations and mechanisms;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Strong oral and writing skills;
- Extensive knowledge of computer applications;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a fairly big team;
- Ability to operate under strict time limits;
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree in forestry;
- Minimum 5 (five) years of professional experience;
- Experience in forestation designing and implementing;
- Knowledge of approaches for flood risk reduction trough re-afforestation approach;
- Knowledge of the environmental issues in BiH;
- Fluency in both written and spoken English;
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
Cumulative analysisWhen using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position and a brief methodology on how you will approach and conduct the work (if applicable). Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application.
Completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (downloadable from http://www.ba.undp.org/content/bosnia_and_herzegovina/en/home/operations/jobs.html);
- Financial proposal which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 62 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points for technical criteria assessment would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
- Background and education; Weight: 20%, Maximum points: 20;
- Previous practical experience in the relevant area, aligned with the announced TOR; Weight: 20%, Maximum points: 20;
- Experience in forestation designing and implementing; Knowledge of approaches for flood risk reduction trough re-afforestation approach; Knowledge of the environmental issues in BiH; Weight: 20%, Maximum points: 20;
- • Fluency in both written and spoken English; Weight: 10%, Maximum points: 10;
Financial criteria: Weight: 30%, Maximum points: 30;
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Anderson
- Grade: National Consultant - Consultancy
- Closing Date: 2017-10-10