Consultant for Agricultural Support Strategy for Eastern Ukraine
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Consultant for development of DRC’s strategy on agricultural support in Esatern Ukraine.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Copenhagen-based international humanitarian organization which operated in Ukraine from 2007 to 2013 with the programmes mainly oriented on civil society development and providing assistance to asylum seekers. DRC returned to Ukraine in November 2014 to respond to the humanitarian crisis in the eastern oblasts of Ukraine. Since early 2015, DRC has been active in the livelihoods sector, providing emergency assistance to IDPs and conflict affected population to initiate small businesses and find employment. While continuing to answer to emergency needs, DRC is gradually linking these activities to the interventions that lead to durable solutions. Taking into account Ukraine’s high potential in the agricultural sector, DRC is now aiming to develop a relevant response strategy for this sector that will aim to provide support to the rural residents of Donetsk and Luhansk GCA, with a specific focus on those groups who suffered as a result of conflict.
About the Consultancy
Consultant will analyse the main problems and needs for small and micro-farmers in Eastern Ukraine (Donetsk and Luhansk government controlled area) develop a concrete set of recommendations and intervention strategy how to address those needs both in short and long term perspectives.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Collect available statistical data on agricultural sector, including from the Ukrainian state official sources, such as statistics department; Incorporate these data into the agricultural strategy report specified above.
- Review and analyze existing strategic documents by the Ukrainian government related with agricultural sector; Incorporate these data into the agricultural strategy report specified above.
- Review the recent and current responses by actors in the agricultural field and analyze existing assessments conducted by various organizations and related with Ukrainian agriculture, such as reports by FAO, PiN, Mercy Corps, REACH, Chemonics, etc; Incorporate these data into the agricultural strategy report specified above.
- Consult agricultural experts from various entities, such as agrarian universities and representatives of other projects working on agricultural support.
- Conduct field visits to DRC’s operational areas and Interview representatives of the target groups – small and subsistence farmers.
- Conduct meetings with relevant stakeholders for agricultural development, including agricultural departments within regional and district administrations of the DRC’s target regions, Ministry of Agriculture, representatives of international and local organizations that engage in agricultural development, etc.
- Provide a detailed analysis of agriculture by various sectors in above mentioned oblasts and incorporate in the agricultural strategy report.
- Provide a detailed description, analysis and the needs assessment of the above mentioned target groups: The small holder farmers who engage in subsistence production and the commercial smallholders who keep the local market supplied by the agricultural products.
- Develop a detailed recommendations and comprehensive strategy of interventions to support above-mentioned target groups that lead to sustainable improvements of living conditions for these groups.
- Submit detailed report on DRC’s relevant response and strategy (both in short and long term perspectives) in the agricultural sector, targeting subsistence and smallholder farmers residing in Donetsk and Luhansk GCA.
- DRC will provide logistics, transportation and accommodation arrangements during the field visits of the consultant;
- The consultant is encouraged to bring his/her own laptop computer, preferably with the software Word and Excel installed. However, if necessary, DRC can provide the consultant with access to computing facilities supplemented by limited secretarial support;
- DRC staff will be available for accompanying the consultant to meetings/site visits. However, the extent of involvement of project staff in supporting the consultancy will be determined by the consultant.
- Payment for the service will be made in full upon; (1) successful completion of services outlined in this Terms of Reference, (2) receipt of all required documentation and (3) written approval provided by DRC Livelihoods Programme Manager and Head of Programmes.
To be successful in this role we expect you to be an expert in Agrarian markets of Ukraine and have deep knowledge of existing strategic documents by the Ukrainian government related with agricultural sector, have expereince in development of strategical documents related to Agricultural Sector of Ukraine, understand peculiarities of the Agricultural sector in eastern Ukraine close to conflict zone. All employees and consultants should master DRC's core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- University degree in Agriculture, Economics, Business Management or other related fields;
- Proven experience in developing strategic document for agricultural sector;
- Computing skills (word processing, spreadsheet programs, etc.), proficiency in using various kinds of office equipment;
- Good inter-personal and communication skills;
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to report according to the given standards;
- Reliable, rigorous and well organized.
- Intermediate level of English language (both speaking and writing);
- Previous experience of work with donor-funded projects is a plus
Contract length: The consultancy assignment will be carried out within 2-month period: October 15, 2017 – December 15, 2017.
All applicants must submit to a DRC site a motivation letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
ATTENTION: Closing date for applications: 8 September 2017. Due to the urgent nature of this recruitment, DRC reserves the right to interview candidates on rolling basis, so the candidate might be selected before the closing date.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Remoted
- Grade: International Consultant - Consultancy
- Closing Date: 2017-10-08