National Consultant (Supervision and Quality Assurance for WASH facility construction - Central, Greater Accra and Volta )
UNICEF Ghana is seeking the services of a committed professional with expertise in supervision and quality assurance for WASH facility construction in three regions (Central, Greater Accra and Volta regions) in accordance with relevant national standards and guidelines for WASH. The individual will be engaged as national consultant for 11.5 months. The consultancy will be based in the Volta Region with scheduled travel to Central and Greater Accra Regions based on pre-approved monthly work plans. Only Ghanaians are eligible to apply.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
A key output of the UNICEF Ghana country program is providing support in the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene sector. The new UNICEF Ghana country program; running from 2018 to 2022 will seek to support government capacity for scaling-up WASH services in Institutions (schools and health facilities). Although infrastructure provision is not a major focus of the new country program, outstanding donor commitments for WASH construction, running to the end of 2018, must be fulfilled.
WASH infrastructure includes a range of technologies from simple group hand washing facilities, to more complex toilets and water supply systems. Such infrastructure is critical to ensure that an enabling environment is available to promote good WASH practices, and as a result improve public health outcomes.
In order to demonstrate the benefit of best practices and improve coverage, the UNICEF Ghana country program receives grants from various donors to support the construction of WASH facilities i.e. latrines, water facilities and hand washing infrastructure. These constructions are primarily targeted at schools and health facilities within the Volta, Central, Greater Accra, Northern, Upper East and Upper West regions. Beyond provision, the Ghana country program also intends to build planning, maintenance and technical capacity, particularly with Health and Education partners.
WASH facilities construction will be implemented through NGOs and private contractors in collaboration with the District Assemblies (DAs) and other relevant Ministries Departments and Agencies (MDAs) of the in the 3 selected regions. The D.A and District Education Office (DEO) will exercise oversight responsibility to ensure that project implementation adheres to national standards and guidelines for WASH in schools programming.
UNICEF shall also engage a consulting engineer to further provide technical assistance before and during construction to ensure that the WASH infrastructure are delivered on time and with the desired quality.
No. of Institutions
Asikuma Odoben Brakwa, Assin South, AEE
Kadjebi, Keta, North Dayi, Kpando (Krachi East excluded)
Accra, Adentan, Ga East
Numbers and locations may vary slightly
There is the need to recruit a consultant to assist UNICEF WASH Officers by guaranteeing that quality of works and construction processes is in accordance with specifications and in accordance with the national standards and guidelines for WASH in institutions. This consultant will need to conduct random spot checks on ongoing constructions process and progress as a means of Quality assurance. In addition, he/she will coordinate construction quality control framework, provide needed technical advice to partners as well as providing reports through respective WASH Officers to the Chief of WASH.
- Review and make input into weekly work plans prepared by NGOs and contractors, aimed at facilitating timely completion of all work packages. (The consultant will be provided a list of selected schools).
- Visit supported institutions and proposed construction, prior to procurement of WASH construction in order to scope required works and possible constraints.
- Undertake site visits aimed at ensuring that construction is being carried out according to relevant building specifications and standards, as well as requirements in PCAs.
- Provide recommendations and technical support to NGOs and contractors with respect to construction processes and management.
- Check the quality of materials used by NGOs and contractors to ensure that they meet the necessary quality standards.
- Assess works undertaken by construction partners and confirm progress of construction to facilitate payments.
- Prompt NGOs/contractors to organize monthly progress/ site meetings and participate in such meetings on behalf of UNICEF
- Prepare and submit a tabulated progress update on works within scope of duty each month.
- Support and coordinate with D.A. and D.E.O. to ensure that works meet national minimum standards for WASH in schools and health facilities.
- Detailed reports on results of pre-construction scoping to UNICEF.
- Detailed weekly progress/output reports on work done to UNICEF with recommendation on the way forward with respect to implementation.
- A monthly report of the weekly update on progress of works to UNICEF including minutes of all site/progress meetings and stakeholder consultations for consideration and adoption by contractors
- Monthly updates of progress of implementation in the UNICEF WASH in Institutions database.
The consultancy will be based in the Volta Region with scheduled travel to Central and Greater Accra Regions based on pre-approved monthly work plans. Consultant will work under the supervision of the WASH Officer for Institutions - Hardware (Accra).
The consultant is expected to spend approximately 30% of time in each of three duty Regions and 10% of time on documentation and reporting.
In the course of the work, the consultant is expected to interact closely with NGOs, District Assemblies, officials of the Ghana Education Service (GES) and Ghana Health Service (GHS), as well as schoolteachers, Head teachers and members of the PTAs/SMCs. Due to the geographical spread of works, he/she will be required to liaise with local government to track progress, and perform spot checks on contractors and NGOs to confirm such progress on a regular basis.
The Consultant will keep a logbook that will be signed by School Heads or their representative on each visit. The Consultant will also be expected to use his/her own computer and vehicle in the execution of the assignment. Monthly de-briefing meetings will be held with supervising WASH Officers.
The consultant will report to the WASH Officer in Accra, with oversight by the Chief of WASH, for all activities and consultations. Formats for reporting will be discussed and agreed upon with WASH Officer during a 2-week inception phase.
- Inception Report: – Inception report due 5 weeks after signing of contract for assignment. Report will outline approach to assignment, issues for the attention of the client including initial constraints and proposals to address them. Consultant will indicate his set-up, planned activities, reporting schedules and draw a comprehensive work plan/budget for the lifetime of the assignment. Consultant will also include first quarterly rolling workplan to be updated each quarter.
- Weekly Progress updates – Updates will contain progress since last report, schedule and constraints to progress, if any, and recommendations to overcome such constraints.
- Monthly Progress Report - Reports will contain progress since last report, schedule and constraints to progress, if any, and recommendations to overcome such constraints. Reports should be prefaced with a one-page summary drawing attention to progress, challenges, and summary recommendations.
- Database update – In addition to above, the consultant is expected to submit progress updates on all WASH works on institutions within his/her duty area.
All reports will be submitted in English. The Draft Final and Final Reports will contain an Executive Summary. Only Final reports will be required in both soft and hard copy formats, all others will be submitted as soft copies.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- First degree in Civil Engineering/Building Technology/Construction Management and related courses.
Years of relevant experience
- Five years progressive experience in construction projects management and supervision. Experience in project management for water supply and sanitation construction is an added asset
- Experience working at Municipal/District level will be an advantage. Affiliation with Ghana Institution of Engineers or other recognizable professional institutions will also be an advantage
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Fluency in English language with excellent writing and communication skills. Knowledge of the local languages (Ga, Fante, Ewe) will be an added advantage
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite is required for this assignment
- Effective teamwork skills and experience with competence for assertiveness.
- Strong drive for results
- Effective planning, monitoring, coordination and supervision skills
To view our competency framework, please click here.
General Conditions: Procedures and Logistics
The consultancy is field based and the consultant will not be provided office space and will be expected to provide his/her own computer. He/she will also be expected to provide his/her own transportation to the project sites. Transportation costs will be reimbursed upon submission of appropriate monthly travel log sheets only for travels that had prior approval of supervisor and based on work plan.
In the case of conflicting responsibilities at different field locations, the consultant is permitted to engage short term field technicians to assist him/her. Such field technicians may be engaged for a maximum of ten (10) working days per month. His/her engagement in such manner will be subject to pre-approval by the consultant’s supervising officer. Technician’s input will be reimbursable based on a pre-approved rate per day that will be negotiated with the office before assumption of the assignment, Technicians should have a minimum qualification of a relevant first degree and three years of experience in construction management. The consultant shall be ultimately responsible for the quality of all work submitted, including that of technicians.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
With respect to supporting field technicians. Applicants must also attach CVs for a pool of such technicians, and proposed daily cost for same
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Accra (Ghana)
- Grade: International Consultant - Consultancy
- Closing Date: 2017-10-12
Consultancy: Development of UNICEF Position Paper on Water Scarcity, WASH Section, PD - NYHQ, Requisition #514362UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement
New York City (United States of America)
Communications Consultant for projects Development of Second Biennial Update Report (SBUR) and Growing Green Businesses in MontenegroUNDP - United Nations Development Programme
National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement
Consultant - Contractors Agreement
Home Based (Home Based)
National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement
Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement