Data Management Specialist
Kinshasa (Congo Democratic)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership and support for the implementation of ICT strategies, and introduction and implementation of new technologies for general management information systems and election management systems (results, candidate and other election specific systems) within the CENI;
- Determine project requirements for external ICT expertise, support its contracting and delivery of outputs;
- Prepare ICT capacity development plan and assist CENI in strategic and operational planning for achieving optimal ICT management capability;
- Develop the necessary documentation of the database migration (Schema, data dictionary, reference manual, administrator's guide,).
- Development of ICT Management System:
- Provide insight and Support for the development and updates of the EMB annual ICT plans and road map. Support development and updating of the business continuity plan, disaster recovery plan, ICT infrastructure and training plans. Follow up on their implementation ;
- Provide technical advice to CENI on the requirements, specifications and compatibility of ICT infrastructure, equipment, database storage, electronic management systems, training, etc.;
- Design, implement, and administer databases of electoral data;
- Explore the expansion of databases so as to properly size the storage capacity of the existing servers and to acquire if necessary;
- Analyze and define the methodology of migration of certain data bases of the CENI from PostgreSQL to Oracle;
- Understand the existing architecture of databases of the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI).
- Management and Administration of ICT Management System:
- Support Ensure the conduct of market research and analysis, and introduction of new technology by CENI, updating and improvement of office systems;
- Provide advice on and assistance in procurement of new ICT equipment for CENI and provision of technical specifications and information on best options in both local and international markets;
- Provide technical advice and Support the application by CENI of national and international best-practice in electoral ICT, particularly relating to voter registration, including data capture and entry, data back-up and data retrieval;
- Support the ICT Departments of CENI to address technical issues relating to voter register anomalies, omissions and administrative transfers and deletions;
- Put in place the procedure for backup and restoration of databases;
- Ensure the availability and quality of data by the maintenance of a good level of performance (speed of treatment, monitoring of the volumetry...);
- To scale the data bases (“tuning"): improve their automation, optimize the salaries and the queries, settings ... with the aim of improving their performance and their features.
- Provide periodic reports and updates on the implementation of ICT-related project activities, document key issues arising, achievements, lessons learned;
- Assist and advise the CENI on methods to harmonize and link voter registration data;
- Provide ICT support and assistance to the project as and when required.
- In a specific way, the Expert will have to contribute to the achievement of the following
- Update quality of electoral database;
- Procedure handbook for safeguard and restoration of available database;
- Sustainability Plan for the CNT available and implemented;
- Total electoral information system allowing the exchange of information of the project in place;
- Training Modules specific to the design, administration, and maintenance of the database of electors;
- Gender Indicators in the different plans and outcome reports.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly and without favoritism.
- Specialist knowledge and high level advisory experience in the area of ICT and Elections, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development and governance issues;
- Strong understanding of political dynamics in government, civil society and the donor community in developing countries.
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP Practice Areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services on electoral issues;
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues.
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of programs;
- Ability to apply theory to the specific country context;
- Have a good mastery of the modeling, design, and implementation of databases;
- Having the mastery of standards and procedures relating to the establishment and management of the Data Base of a Center for Computerized Data;
- Having a perfect mastery of the query language SQL;
- Excellent control of implementation of the backup mechanisms and restoring of databases in Oracle;
- Have a mastery of Oracle database management systems, PostgreSQL, Sql Server;
- Good knowledge of Ethernet networks and different protocols of commonly used networks;
- Have knowledge in systems administration (Linux and Windows) and networks.
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Negotiation skills: capacity to work with diverse partners including government, donors and civil society;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Ability to work with high-level multidisciplinary teams and to coordinate the activities of a working group;
- Demonstrate a capacity to plan and organize his work;
- Ability to work under pressure in a politically and psychologically difficult environment;
- Openness of spirit and the ability to manage complex situations.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree in ITC field;
- Where necessary, be a holder of a combination of university degrees, technical trainings and experience that can give an equivalence with the training specified above;
- Be holder of a certification in Oracle 11g administration or a professional level certification among others, DBMS (SQL Server, MySQL, DB2, PostgreSQL, etc.) is an asset.
- Minimum 7 years of experience with ICT for electoral processes and election management assistance;
- Extensive practical experience in election ICT operations, planning, management, including the development/deployment of (biometric) candidate and results management databases;
- Having worked on large databases (10 million records and more) preferably biometric (photo and/or fingerprints) is an asset.
- Knowledge of system Design; Applications Development and Client Server systems, internet technologies and development of distributed systems, Microsoft Office, MS Access, SQL Server and Oracle, at least one report generation program (such as Crystal Reports or Microsoft Reporting Services), cryptographic systems (desirable);
- Institutional capacity building experience, training, project design and implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills desirable;
- Excellent analytical, communication, writing and presentation skills;
- Experience in the African context, and more particularly in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, is an asset;
- Knowledge of the United Nations system and the procedures of UNDP will be an asset;
- Having practical experience in the field of voter’s data base management will be also an asset;
- Mastery of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Fluency in written and spoken French;
- A good knowledge of spoken and written English will be considered as an asset
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment. For more information please click here and here.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Kinshasa (Congo Democratic)
- Grade: P-4, International Professional - Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-10-06
P-3, International Professional