Economic Policy Analyst
The Agenda 2030 based on a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change challenges is underpinned by a strong commitment to ‘eave no one behind and to reach the furthest behind first. It recognizes the multi-dimensional nature of poverty and inequality and provides a framework that comprehensively addresses all dimensions of well-being.
In October 2015 the Government of Pakistan launched the SDGs in Pakistan and formally adopted them through a unanimous resolution passed in National Assembly to adopt the 2030 Agenda as a National Development Agenda. In order to take forward the implementation of 2030 Agenda, UNDP Pakistan, the Planning Commission and Provincial Planning and Development Departments have launched a national initiative on SDGs focusing on the following four outputs:
- Plans, policies and resource allocation aligned to 2030 Agenda
- Monitoring, reporting and evaluation capacities strengthened
- Innovative approaches applied to accelerate progress on priority SDGs
- Financing flows aligned to 2030 Agenda
Under the project, SDG Support Units are being established at federal level in Planning Commission and with all the provinces and regions in the Planning & Development Departments. The Sindh SDG Support Unit is operational and providing support to Sindh Government on the aforementioned outputs. To strengthen the advisory work, an Economic Policy Analyst is required to support the SDG Unit and P&DD in policy dialogue and reform using economic analysis and other tools to strengthen the advisory and planning work of the SDG Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
· Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Responsibility & Direction:
· Serves and promotes the vision, mission, values, and strategic goals of UNDP.
· Promotes a learning and knowledge sharing environment;
· Facilitates the development of individual and multi-cultural/team competencies.
Managing for Results:
· Plans and prioritizes work activities to meet desired results;
· Strategic approach to problem solving.
Partnering & Networking:
· Builds and sustains relationships with key constituents (internal/external/ bilateral/ multilateral/public/private; civil society);
· Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices
· Demonstrates ability to handle working relationships with senior officials, academics and technical experts.
Innovation & Judgment:
· Conceptualizes and analyzes problems to identify key issues, underlying problems, and how they relate;
· Generates creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations;
· Devises new systems and processes, and modifies existing ones, to support innovative behaviors.
· Demonstrates outstanding communication skills, verbal and written, in English.
Job Knowledge & Expertise:
· Applies the required depth and breadth of knowledge and expertise to meet job demands;
· Possesses extensive knowledge of economic development issues and familiarity with major macro-economic policy issues and models and the SDGs;
· Capable of applying economic theory to the specific country context;
· Demonstrates strong quantitative skills and the ability to carry out high quality economic research, including statistical analysis
· Possesses proven ability to analyze from a global perspective, with the ability to offer practical policy advice on economic issues based on local realities;
- Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource
Required Skills and Experience
Education Requirements: Master’s Degree in Economics, with strong emphasis on macro-economic and other quantitative skills, development economics, and economic planning.
- At least 03 years of relevant experience after Master Degree at the national or international level;
- Substantial experience with economic issues and strategies in developing countries and awareness of SDGs related policy matters;
- Extensive experience in research and policy-level analysis in formulation of economic development strategies;
- Demonstrated experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Karachi
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract - Junior level
- Closing Date: 2017-10-14