Data Centre Infrastructure Technician
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
The Technology Infrastructure Support Section (TISS) is responsible for the delivery and maintenance of two TIER 3 Certified Data Centre Critical Facilities, maintaining the electromechanical platform where the entire telecommunication services are supported for the UN secretariat, agencies, funds and programs.
The section maintains the following services 24/7/365: Emergency power generation; High Availability UPS Systems of 3 MW; Remote monitoring and automation of systems; Cooling and ventilation; Fire suppression systems; Solar generation of 800 kW; Other green practices as direct free cooling to ensure an eco-friendly and viable critical facility; Mission Support Products as Modular systems (MCC) in several versions for multiple applications; Hybrid Solar – Diesel generation and other standalone power self-sustainable systems.
The Data Centre Infrastructure Technician working in UNGSC will liaise among project managers, design teams, operations teams, and our partners / suppliers communicating between all key stakeholders to ensure the smooth and successful implementation of new services and maintenance of existing ones.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior UNOPS Programme Manager, the incumbent for this post will be placed in the UN Department of Field Support and will report to the Chief, Infrastructure Operations Section (IOS) under Field Technology Service (FTS).The Data Centre InfrastructureTechnician helps in initiating and promoting technology innovations in the area of Programmable Logic Controllers PLC.
The Data Centre Infrastructure Technician will be responsible for the following duties:
- Maintain current sensors/PLCs
- Identify new sensor/PLCs needs and research market for best fitting solution to apply/buy/build
- Program PLCs to communicate with OSISOFT DCIM and provide accurate real-time information to its dashboard
- Design preventive/reactive maintenance plans for sensors
- Design backbone wiring for Modbus Ethernet sensors
- Design dashboards that lead to optimization and continuous working of resources and systems.
- Perform other duties as required
The result of work of the Data Centre InfrastructureTechnician impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DFS/DPKO field missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering, Industrial Design, PLC Automation, IoT, Control Systems, Computer Science or any other related field.
- A high school degree and a control system or equivalent certification with progressively responsible experience in electronics programming, PLC, IoT and/or Modbus may be accepted in lieu of the university degree.
- A minimum of 1 year of progressively responsible experience in electronics programming, PLC and Modbus.
- Proficiency with Windows and Office
- Networking and TCP stack knowledge desirable.
- Experience in the following technologies:
- Arduino programming
- Linux scripting knowledge
- Web Service REST JSON Read
- Any Data Center Operation Platform like Osisoft’s.
Fluency in written and oral English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 5
Contract duration: 1 year (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
UNOPS vision is a world where people can live full lives supported by appropriate, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, and by the efficient and transparent use of public resources in procurement and project management.
With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services