Media Consultant (Retainer)
New York City (United States of America)
The Communications Section at UN Women Headquarters in New York seeks to enlist a Media Consultant (junior-level) to support the implementation of media outreach efforts on gender equality and women's empowerment. Under the supervision of the Senior Communications and Media Specialist, and in close collaboration of the Media Unit, s/he will assist in developing and implementing media outreach efforts geared towards the sustainable development goals and the Post-2015 agenda; including media trends and analysis reports, drafting of news-oriented stories, research and drafting of content for key initiatives such as the annual year-end timeline; and support the Unit during high-profile media outreach and engagement such as Security Council Resolution 1325 anniversary, 16 Days of Activism, and in the lead up to International Women’s Day and CSW 62, along with other organizational events.
Duties and Responsibilities
During the six-month duration of this assignment, the Media Consultant on retainer for up to 30 days will undertake research, writing, editing and media outreach for the following activities:
- The Security Council Open Debate on SCr 1325.
- The 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence;
- Preparation for the Sixty-Second session of the Commission on the Status of Women which will take place from 12 to 23 March 2018;
- Preparation for the International Women’s Day which will take place on 8 March 2018;
- Drafting of news oriented stories, as needed, during the duration of the assignment.
- Research and writing for special initiatives, such as year-end multi-media timeline.
- Demonstrates consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity:
- Demonstrates an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrates / Safeguards Ethics and Integrity.
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring:
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
Working in Teams:
- Team player and facilitates team work.
Communicating Information and Ideas:
- Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team, communicates effectively.
Self-management and Emotional intelligence:
- Creating synergies through self-control. Conflict Management / Negotiates and Resolves Disagreement.
Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning:
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in communications, journalism, writing, international affairs or similar
- 2 years of experience in the strategic use of news media and monitoring
- Proven experience in media relations, communications, journalistic writing and editing
- Familiarity with media database and monitoring tools, such as Vocus-Cision PR
- Proficient in using new technologies and web-based platforms
- Familiar with women's rights issues
- Familiar with the United Nations
- Self-starter; organized; able to multitask and balance multiple responsibilities
- Fluent in English; fluent in Spanish and/or French is a plus