CON 2017/69 - Consultant - Psychosocial and Mental Health Mapping - Multiple Duty Stations*
Multiple locations (Various)
Duty Station :Multiple Duty Stations
Classification Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, Two Months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 17 October 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Context:
Under the supervision of the Protection Officer in Niamey, the general supervision of the Program Manager and the Chief of Mission, as well as the technical supervision of the head of mental health, psychosocial response and intercultural communication, the consultant will conduct a mapping of mental health actors, resources and facilities in Niger, Nigeria, Ghana, The Gambia and Burkina Faso. S/he will engage in a detailed research, desk study and in the field, and communicate with medical and humanitarian actors working on the topic. The successful candidate is expected to carry out his/her duties in accordance with strictest ethical standards and with due respect for gender and socio-cultural sensitivities. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The consultant will identify and evaluate actors, resources and facilities in Niger, Nigeria, Ghana, the Gambia, and Burkina Faso, that are engaged in the field of mental health. 1. Conduct a detailed research of all mental health and psychosocial support actors, resources and facilities in Niger, Nigeria, Ghana, The Gambia, and Burkina Faso; this includes counselling capacities, psychological and psychotherapeutic capacities, psychiatric capacities, and traditional capacities within the social, educational, primary, secondary and tertiary health care sector and in community settings;
2. Visit and examine mental health and psychosocial support providers in the countries mentioned above. Evaluate their capacities to care for, with or without family supervision, patients, for which conditions and to facilitate the reintegration of vulnerable migrants; this can include visits to existing residential facilities, and their respect of the WHO Human rights checklist, and the IOM corporate standards for referral;
3. Communicate with local, national, international and traditional actors engaged in the field of mental health, evaluate partnership opportunities and document experiences; 4. Draft detailed reports for IOM Niger, including partnership suggestions, gaps and reinforcement opportunities.
Page 1 / 3Deliverables
Prepare a comprehensive overview report of the current mental health and psychosocial support capacities in Niger, Nigeria, Ghana, The Gambia and Burkina Faso, including evaluation of actors, resources and facilities.
• The report should include a mapping of actors in various regions within each country, along with recommendations of first partnerships;
• The report will also provide recommendations for capacity building or technical materials needs of actors and services deemed to have capacity that can be strengthened rapidly Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Psychology, Medicine, Public Health or related field from accredited academic institution.
• At least two years of experience (or four years of experience for candidates with 1st level university degree) in evaluation and report writing in relation to mental health care; • Experience in developing media and communication strategies, tools and products for development.
• Being capable to write and communicate fluently in both, English and French, is a necessary requirement;
• Strong computer skills
• Knowledge in the Western and Central African (WCA) region is a distinct advantage. • Experience working in humanitarian organizations
• Experience in working in remote environments
• Fluency in English and French is required.
*The consultant will be assigned in Multiple Duty Stations in Niger, Nigeria, Ghana, Gambia and Burkina Faso.
Page 2 / 3• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 17 October 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 04.10.2017 to 17.10.2017
Requisition: CON2017/69-Consultant-Psychosocial &Mental Health Mapping-Multiple Duty Statios (55197015) Released
Posting: Posting NC55197016 (55197016) Released
Page 3 / 3
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Multiple locations (Various)
- Grade: Consultant - Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2017-10-17