Local Consultants: Strengthening the National Immunization Program (1 for NCR and 1 for Region 4A) - 11 Months
Scope of Services The Philippine National Demographic Health Surveys (NDHS) showed that Full Immunization Coverage (FIC) fluctuated over the past 15 years. The latest NDHS in 2013 showed only 68.5% FIC, which is much lower than the previous level in 2008 of 79.5%. In 2014 alone, there were 58,848 measles cases reported in the country, majority of which were reported in the 3 most populous Regions, namely Regions 3, 4-A and National Capital Region. There is still continuous transmission of the virus in some areas and sustained efforts are still needed to achieve the elimination goals and targets for the country. The Middle Income Country Strategy (MICS) Task Force Mission Desk Review conducted in 2016, showed that the three main reasons for insufficient coverage and ongoing measles transmission are inadequate tracking of defaulters, limited windows for vaccination sessions, inadequate immunization service delivery capacity, low uptake of vaccination services and the need to strengthen and support the leadership and governance. Adding to these challenges is the fact that the country is rapidly urbanizing, it is the twelfth most populous country in the world, with Metro Manila as one of the world’s megacities. 45M (44%) lives in urban areas while 15 % of those in the urban areas live in the slums. Alarmingly one of four slum dwellers is a child. With these challenges facing the National Immunization Program there is a need to support and strengthen the NIP team at the regional level that will serve as the steward for the LGUs as the direct implementers of the program. The consultant at the DOH Regional Health Office will play an important role in supporting the regional EPI team in improving service delivery mechanisms at the LGU level using the health systems strengthening approach. The consultant will strategize to leverage available funds in the DOH and priority LGUs for implementation of proposed strategies and innovations by inclusion in their annual work and financial plans. The consultant will work in close collaboration with the cluster head of the Family Health Cluster with overall supervision from the UNICEF Health PS Specialist.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
- Make a thorough situational analysis of the region and determine priority LGUs for support.
- Support DOH RHO in the development of a costed annual work plan with clear timelines and accountabilities.
- Support development of capacity building packages/curriculum targeting immunization managers at the provincial/city level, frontline health workers and other members of the NIP team.
- Provide technical assistance to LGUs in evidence based planning and budgeting process that would feed into the annual investment plan for health.
- Support implementation of the Reaching Every Purok Strategy.
- Support conduct of microplanning workshops for priority Cities.
- Development and strengthening of defaulter tracking system in regions to include master listing, defaulter tracking and outreaches.
- Support development of a sustainable advocacy plan/package targeting key decision makers at the regional and LGU level.
- Provide technical assistance in the development and implementation of a regional NIP communication plan.
Provide technical support in strengthening of the vaccine supply chain to include wVSSM.
- Inception Report.
- Regional Health SITAN.
- 2018 Work and Financial Plan.
- Training Needs Analysis.
- Comprehensive Regional Capacity Building Plan.
- Final Version of the Province/City Investment Plan for Health.
- Database of High Risk Puroks of Priority LGUs.
- Microplanning workshop report.
- Final copy of the micro plans.
- Report of implementation of defaulter tracking systems.
- 2018 Advocacy Plan.
- Costed Regional NIP Communication Plan.
- wVSSM Implementation Report.
- EVM Improvement Plan.
- Training Report and Follow up after training.
- Monitoring Plan and monitoring report.
- *Monthly Progress Report
Qualifications and Competencies of Successful Consultant
- University Degree in Medicine.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Public Management or Public Administration.
- More than 5 Years work experience in Public Health Program Management using the health systems strengthening approach preferably in the area of vaccine-preventable diseases.
- Experience in leading development of operational strategies for strengthening routine immunization with focus on reaching the unreached.
- Excellent Planning, Negotiating and Analytical Skills.
- Experience working with UN Agencies, DOH and LGUs and other Development Partners.
- High Degree of Work Commitment and Integrity.
- Results-Focus and Driven.
- Good Leadership and Program Management Skills and Trainings.
- Good People and Inter-Personal Skills.
- Fluency in English & Filipino (Verbal and Written).
- Basic Computer Literacy and Presentation Skills.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates are requested to complete an online candidate profile in http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/ by 20 October 2017. Only applications sent through the e-recruitment portal under Job Number: 507693 will be considered.
All candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, and the duly filled P 11 form which can be downloaded from our website at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc indicating three (3) previous supervisors. Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
Only shortlisted consultants will be contacted.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Manila (Philippines)
- Grade: NO-C, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Mid level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2017-11-06