Country Representative -The Philippines
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can
live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law. To learn more about IDLO, please visit our website www.idlo.int or follow us on Twitter @IDLO.
IDLO seeks a Country Representative (CR) to lead on its Philippines programming, which is currently focusing on capacity building efforts to support the Philippines’ justice sector. The CR will manage, supervise, coach and coordinate a small team of national personnel and will be responsible for the effective, efficient and results-driven management of the project, with a focus on quality assurance. S/he will be based in Manila on a full-time basis and will work in close collaboration and encourage coordination with donor representatives, partner justice institutions, other relevant justice programs, as well as with IDLO Headquarters.
Under the supervision of the Program Manager based at IDLO Headquarters, the Country Representative will be expected to:
- Lead the overall management of the program, including inter alia revisions to project design planning, ensuring effective, efficient, and results-based and timely delivery of activities and results;
- Keep the IDLO Philippines Team and its partner institutions focused on targets and results;
- Oversee the local financial management of the project, including financial reporting, budget forecasts and budget realignments if necessary, in cooperation with the relevant Finance personnel;
- Monitor the workplan and its revision together with the Team in Manila and in coordination with the Project Team based in HQs;
- Monitor the project environment, including security, political, developments and personnel issues that may affect its implementation, identify and report in a timely manner any difficulty or possible change in project strategies, objectives, results or activities, and make recommendations for timely and optimal course corrections;
- Supervise the monitoring, reporting, documenting, and communication of program results, including leading on the finalization of donor reports in collaboration with the Program Coordinators both in Manila and HQ;
- Coordinate project activities with the relevant partner justice institutions and the donor, and other stakeholders as relevant;
- Represent IDLO before senior government officials, the donor and the international community and other external and internal stakeholders as appropriate;
- Keep the Program Manager at the HQ regularly informed of project progress, events and challenges, and work in close cooperation with the Project and relevant support teams at HQ;
- Ensure sound coordination and communication among IDLO personnel in Manila, the Philippines government, the donor and IDLO HQ;
- Lead on the supervised Team’s alignment to IDLO’s standards for work environment, workplace culture, ethics, overall employee wellbeing and morale, and set the example accordingly;
- Identify and evaluate risks to the organization’s personnel, finances, goodwill and image, and work with the appropriate colleagues in the relevant units at HQ to manage and reduce such risks; and
- Supervise, lead and coach national personnel to ensure smooth functioning of day to day operations of the project.
DEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Experience
- Post Graduate Degree in Law, International Relations, Development, Political Sciences or related discipline required;
- Minimum of 10 (ten) years of relevant project/country management experience in implementation of Rule of Law and/or related capacity building programs;
- Proven experience in a managerial and supervisory capacity of human and financial resources and a track record in program management and program administration;
- Solid understanding of the Rule of Law and justice sector development;
- Previous experience in managing and supervising capacity building programs is a distinct advantage; and
- Prior experience working in the Philippines is an advantage as is experience in US-funded projects.
- Fluent oral and professional writing skills in English is essential.
Specific Knowledge / Skills / Competencies
- Demonstrated ability to effectively represent the organization to external stakeholders and ability to present and summarize salient points in an influential manner;
- Developed negotiation and diplomacy skills and experience in working with government departments, ministries and high-level officials;
- Solid experience in and ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management, program reporting and methodologies;
- Proven track record in effectively leading a team and group facilitation skills;
- Sound experience in project management, budget management and resource development, and capacity building;
- Excellent analytical, critical reasoning and problem solving skills with sound judgement;
- Proven ability to develop and foster working relationships across a globally based organization;
- Proven ability to effectively use computer and Microsoft Office programs and other electronic sources;
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the Organization;
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with sound understanding and capability to empower and develop the capacity of counterparts; and
- Strong sense of ethics, integrity, credibility, respect of diversity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Country Representative will be based in Manila, the Philippines but may require to work from other locations as determined by the Supervisor. The successful candidate will be contracted for an initial period of 12 months, with possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
The annual salary level for this internationally recruited position is in the range of USD 78,000.- to a level commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus additional admissible benefits, e.g. medical and accident insurance, annual leave, and sick leave.
HOW TO APPLY
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply via our website: www.idlo.int/jobs and submit the completed IDLO Personal History Form (PHF), resume and cover letter.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The Director - General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline: 31 October 2017 (23:59hrs Rome time).
- Organization: IDLO - International Development Law Organization
- Location: Manila
- Grade: Senior
- International Relations
- Legal - International Law
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2017-10-31