Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS will provide support to UNOG Library’s Digitization of the League of Nations Archives project, through the provision of services, which includes procurement and personnel support. This project addresses the League of Nations Archives collection managed by the United Nations Office at Geneva, consisting of the digitization for a subsequent provision of online access to the complete records of the League of Nations during its existence from 1919 to 1946, including approximately 3 linear kilometres or 15,000,000 pages of materials. While the inherent value of the original materials necessitates provisions for their long-term physical care, digitization can contribute to the overall preservation of the collections to ensure that people from around the globe can discover, use, and learn from these important records.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
- Lead, manage and co-ordinate the digitisation activity.
- Daily management of Pre-Digitization Team to ensure cost-effectiveness, efficiency and a quality standard of service provision and to monitor and appraise team performance.
- Ensure production and quality targets met according to established workflows and procedures and addresses related issues to improve efficiency.
- Contribute to tasks to ensure targets met and by establishing measurable long term/short term targets.
- Supervise a project team in the performance of multiple and complex archives-related tasks by providing the team with clear direction, objectives and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently.
- Coordinate team-level processes and workflows with the Project Manager, including making recommendations and adjustments as necessary to ensure project objectives are achieved.
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of physical location and inventory database.
- Support the physical preservation assessments and perform basic treatments.
- Lead the preparation of archives materials for their digitization with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance.
- Supervise project staff relating to functions cited above by promoting teamwork, collaboration and diversity and by fostering a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Perform other related duties, as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent) in archives or library science, information science, project management, business administration or related field.
- A Bachelor degree with two additional years of relevant experience may be acceptable in lieu of the advanced degree.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience in archives, libraries, project development and management, with focus on monitoring, reporting, development and coordination or related field is required.
- At least 1 year of experience supervising or managing staff is required.
- Experience with archives digitization projects will be an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English or French and working knowledge of the other is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: International Specialist Level 2
Contract duration: 1 year (with possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: IICA-2, International Individual Contractors Agreement - Mid level
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-10-26